Weapons

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Weapons

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

The auto turrets are pretty cool too. I think they would basically do what we wish the sentinels would do. You just deploy it somewhere and it does its thing.
pooty

Post by pooty »

we wish the sentinels would do. You just deploy it somewhere and it does its thing.
Base Sentinel does that, just not very effective until you do upgrades.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Speaking of sentinels… now that some players have learned how to effectively upgrade them we need to lay out some rules for using them. I’m pulling these from memory on the rules RMD had for them, just opening for discussion:

1. Do not place sentinels on any vehicles - think of a manta armed with with 3 fully loaded sentinels, or worse on a mino.
2. Do not place sentinels inside or in range of the enemy core - same as egregious spawn killing.
3. Do not place sentinels at a locked enemy node - see note on #2.

That last one is the trickiest because a sentinel could be set up at an unoccupied node that the enemy then locks. I think RMD dealt with that later by saying don’t place sentinels at unlocked/open nodes either, only your own locked nodes.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Can our sentinels be placed on vehicles? Like are the capable or will they fall off? That actually sounds kind of badass if I'm being honest.

I agree the locked node one is tough and probably going to be impossible to enforce. It's hard enough to do that with vehicles. People complain about a mino hitting a locked node but they certainly seem unwilling to cease fire on it.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

We should allow #3. If I can't place sentinels at a node they are worthless. I can see #1 and #2 but #3 is too much. We allow spamming locked nodes with the mino, e.g spam 8/9 on minus when trying to get 1/2 back if you lost it.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:59 pm ...
1. Do not place sentinels on any vehicles - think of a manta armed with with 3 fully loaded sentinels, or worse on a mino.
2. Do not place sentinels inside or in range of the enemy core - same as egregious spawn killing.
3. Do not place sentinels at a locked enemy node - see note on #2.
Ah man, that's some Termi genius stuff right there. LOL
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:08 pm Can our sentinels be placed on vehicles? Like are the capable or will they fall off? That actually sounds kind of badass if I'm being honest.
Yes… I’ve seen it in action and it was way too much. Put a fully upgraded minigun sentinel on each manta wing and a fully upgraded ESR sentinel (basically a super shock sentinel) on top and you can just buzz around the map destroying everything in your path. The 2 miniguns mow down tanks in less than 2 secs and the ESR instagibs the foot soldiers. Virtually unstoppable, unless you manage to hit it with an Avril from a distance.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:08 pm I agree the locked node one is tough and probably going to be impossible to enforce. It's hard enough to do that with vehicles. People complain about a mino hitting a locked node but they certainly seem unwilling to cease fire on it.
Yeah, it is tough because things change rapidly on a map. Just kinda douchey setting up a sent at a locked enemy node where it instakills everyone that spawns there. Not impossible to enforce though if a spectating admin sees someone actively doing it. But difficult to enforce nonetheless.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I agree the locked node thing will be a bitch to enforce.
Snarf, I wonder if we can tweak the sentinel code to not allow placement on vehicle? That would solve most of it. Might even be able to code it so we could check Dist(Location(enemycore) , Location(sentinelplace) < 10000 or something. We'd also need to fix the scoreboard glitch, ghost pawns.

Keep in mind that most tanks though destroy a sentinel pretty quick, Mino, Ion, Mega all take it out in one shot, likely even if it has a shield.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:54 am I agree the locked node thing will be a bitch to enforce.
Snarf, I wonder if we can tweak the sentinel code to not allow placement on vehicle? That would solve most of it. Might even be able to code it so we could check Dist(Location(enemycore) , Location(sentinelplace) < 10000 or something. We'd also need to fix the scoreboard glitch, ghost pawns.

Keep in mind that most tanks though destroy a sentinel pretty quick, Mino, Ion, Mega all take it out in one shot, likely even if it has a shield.
I haven't seen the sentinel code, but the no placement on vehicles should be easy. I think it must be explicitly coded to allow that (by calling SetBase(someVehicle)). Without that call, it would fall off the vehicle similar to parking a manta on a tank and then driving the tank away. It won't stay on. I think you could borrow some code from the vehicle factories for the distance check too.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Any luck on the ut2 weapon testing?