Is it Really OP?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Is it Really OP?

Post by McLovin »

New game mode proposal:

1. All the vehicles are locked.
2. The only way to get them unlocked is to build nodes, ie, points.
3. When your point value is high enough, you may enter select vehicles.
4. Higher game score unlocks all the vehicles for you.

Sheet stains not building nodes? Problem solved.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Even though I get annoyed when shit stains take vehicles they have as much a right to play as anyone else. Locking them based on points is the wrong direction. It's just a game we play for fun and if you take it serious good for you but it shouldn't be restricted based on skill.

We're privileged to play this game in 24' . I never got to experience it in its heyday but some of you did, you guys are lucky you got to play arguably the most skilled, greatest fps that's ever existed at its peak. All I got was shit like fortnite , watered down garbage.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Super Sanka wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:11 am Even though I get annoyed when shit stains take vehicles they have as much a right to play as anyone else. Locking them based on points is the wrong direction. It's just a game we play for fun and if you take it serious good for you but it shouldn't be restricted based on skill.
Yes, they have a right to play, we don’t restrict anyone from playing. And this idea isn’t really about skill as much as it is about effort and getting the behavior you want to see from players, i.e. actually engaging at nodes.

It’s more for the stains that have played a long time and still care nothing about the nodes. I bet individual players could be hard coded with a point threshold to get in vehicles, the admins all know who the biggest wasters are.

It’s not a bad idea for maybe a single map, but setting up something like McLovin’s idea would probably be very time consuming on the coding side and not worth the effort.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

McLovin’s idea would probably be very time consuming on the coding side and not worth the effort.
Restricting vehicle entry by player would require:
1. Adding code to every vehicle
2. Code to read the point value/player restriction list. (Maybe leverage the multipliers?)

Its pretty substantial effort, IMO that is the wrong direction. This is how microtransactions started. :roll:

There might be a way in a map to say not spawn any vehicles until the first node is built, but I'd have to dig into it. Might be easier to make cores with no vehicles, and only vehicles at the primaries... the downside is lose your primaries game over.

Either way the game is set up like that today, you vehicle death match instead of nodes, your team loses.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:23 pm Its pretty substantial effort, IMO that is the wrong direction. This is how microtransactions started. :roll:
That's what I figured. It's an interesting idea though, would be cool actually if there was some graduating scale for noobs regarding vehicle allowance, based on some metric like PPH or something. It could be where noobs with really low PPH are restricted to the basic ground vehicles like Benders, Scorpions and most tanks. Forces them to learn those vehicles first. Then as they get better (higher PPH) they graduate to flyers and more powerful tanks.

Some would never graduate to the better vehicles, which is fine and the whole point. If they don't like it, they should learn to do the basics and show up.

Just a neat idea, not advocating we do it or even try. Not worth it.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Naw, you wouldn't have to code every vehicle. I think this could be done pretty easy.

Mutator has this function

Code: Select all

function bool CanEnterVehicle(Vehicle V, Pawn P)
{
	if( NextMutator != None )
		return NextMutator.CanEnterVehicle(V, P);

return true;
}

So you could do

Code: Select all

class MutStainCleaner extends Mutator;

var config array<string> StainList;

function bool IsStain(Pawn P)
{
    local int i;
    for(i = 0;i< StainList.Length;i++)
    {
       if(StainList[i] == P.Controller.GetPlayerIDHash())
            return true;
    }

return false;
}

function bool CanEnterVehicle(Vehicle V, Pawn P)
{
    if(V.VehicleNameString == "Minotaur" && IsStain(P))
    {
         if(PlayerController(P.Controller) != None)
             PlayerController(P.Controller).ClientMessage("You must be at least this tall before riding this ride");

return false;
    }

if( NextMutator != None )
        return NextMutator.CanEnterVehicle(V, P);

return true;
}

defaultproperties
{
    bAddToServerPackages=true
    FriendlyName="Stain Cleaner"
    Description="Keep vehicles from getting stains"
}
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Are there really that many noobs to worry about?

And, yes. It's supposed to be a fun game.... until Anonymous head-shots you five times in a row. :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

Oh yes nice. So we could. Still don't think we should.
And, yes. It's supposed to be a fun game.... until Anonymous head-shots you five times in a row. :lol:
Maybe we need an inventory item/relic Helmet that blocks head shots... lol.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:28 am Oh yes nice. So we could. Still don't think we should.
Maybe we need an inventory item/relic Helmet that blocks head shots... lol.
Sadly, you wouldn’t need much of a threshold either. Could be something like:
0 - 100 pph: scorpions, benders, goliaths, hurricanes, nepthys , etc.
101-200 pph: manta, raptor, bio flyer, cicada, node runner, etc.
201+: All vehicles

Base it on the current match pph, and considering the average stain rarely gets above 200 pph, they’d still have tons of vehicles to use, they just won’t be able to waste the best ones. And if they really want that mino or falcon, well then step it up a bit at nodes and you’re quickly over 200 pph, mission accomplished.

I don’t think it’s a horrible idea to do on at least one map. Be honest, who on your own team would you rather hop in the Falcons and Starbolts… a player with a 95 pph or one with a 500+ pph.

And anyone at this point who says points don’t matter is an idiot. We’ve made it so they very much matter by making nodes the most valuable points reward in an effort to balance matches.
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:05 am ...
I don’t think it’s a horrible idea to do on at least one map.
Exactly this^^^^

I'm NOT advocating converting the entire server, only 1 map. It would be worth playing only to hear the stains lose their sheet.

A good candidate would be a copy of MassDestruction where all those juicy vehicles are littered at the core.

Stains: "Wut? I need to go to a node, WTF? I can't joy-ride the mino?" Bwa-hahaha! Get a clue noob.