ONS-HomeSweetHome Randomizer

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Super Sanka

Re: ONS-HomeSweetHome Randomizer

Post by Super Sanka »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:29 pm Not surprisingly, our players prefer this no skill spam fest.
Which is why I'm confused Azazul doesn't like it
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Super Sanka wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm
captainsnarf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:29 pm Not surprisingly, our players prefer this no skill spam fest.
Which is why I'm confused Azazul doesn't like it
I think Azazel would gladly play a Dria/MassD server
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:52 pm I haven't played this map, but yes let's not all forget the VehicleTester map. That thing would still get voted nearly every night.
The TorlanLinkerMadness map was meant to be a test for new link vehicles, but the Dumb Masses love it so it gets voted every night.

And I agree with snarf on this new randomizer version. I don't mind it being a randomizer, and I don't mind the ceiling tunnels, but having multiples of the same OP vehicles, whether Levis or Warhawks, is game breaking.

Please change this to a regular randomizer or delete it. Otherwise the original version was already enough of a spam-fest and all around better version.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

Warhawks were definitely annoying having multiple of and have been made to only have a max of 1 since the last version of the map. I like the mass amount of levis, seeing a team stagger them in a way to cover each other and lock down areas of the map is something you don't see on any other map. It gives those who want to just sit there and spam something useful to do that actually is helping the team. I never had an issue with the mass levi camping. These levi positions can easily be busted with the OMFG gun, nuke, link nuke, bombers, etc, though limiting/removing the 10k hp levi would make sense. The teleporters in the vents let you fly something up there and either grab the nuke or OMFG gun and delete some levis. Also I'll probably eventually tune down the mino's hp from 7.5k to somewhere around 4-5k since its a bit strong currently. Warhawk is definitely going to be a core-only vehicle so one team can't get both of them.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

V4 on the google drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VAy6uJ ... sp=sharing

Changes:
- Vents are now zoned correctly, everyone should get better fps now
- Textures in the vents are lined up with each other so it doesn't look as ugly
- Mino hp reduced from 7.5k -> 5k. Testing in bot matches shows that it can still be used to push with, but can easily be stopped by a levi or a couple high powered tanks. No more being able to leeroy jenkins and wipe the enemy team with it. Its still strong enough to be a threat, especially if its keg o' whoopassed up.
- Removed the 10k hp levi. Now, the highest hp any levi has is the kraken at 5k. The rest of the levis have less than that. A couple mino, classic mino, megabadger shots delete levis, so no more stacked 10k hp levis camping the map.
- Removed the warhawk from every node except the core. This, combined with only 1 being allowed to spawn per team, should make rounds less dominated by them, if they spawn at all. Also increased its respawn time from 30s -> 45s.
- Added a missile tank to the randomizer. I checked to make sure the missiles can be flown through the vents without hitting the walls, so that could allow some interesting play.
- Reduced the randomizer max value of the flier nodes. It won't spawn as many op fliers now. This should make it easier to make a comeback if you lose your flier node and the enemy team builds it.

Other things to note, more of a PSA:
In previous games, I rarely see people make use of the teleporters in the vents. There is one on the table by the bedroom primary node that goes to the vent in that room. The one that can make a huge difference in games though, is the ones in the center by the nuke in the vent. Those go to the ledges between the center room and the christmas trees, where the OMFG guns are located. You can fly up into the vent, grab the nuke, use a middle teleporter, and be able to instantly nuke either the middle or the area by the tree. If the nuke isn't there, the OMFG gun does a great job at dumpstering the node or any large vehicle too. If you don't want to fly through the meatgrinder that is the middle, use the vents and the teleporters.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Rhamp wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:31 pm Warhawks were definitely annoying having multiple of and have been made to only have a max of 1 since the last version of the map. I like the mass amount of levis, seeing a team stagger them in a way to cover each other and lock down areas of the map is something you don't see on any other map. It gives those who want to just sit there and spam something useful to do that actually is helping the team. I never had an issue with the mass levi camping. These levi positions can easily be busted with the OMFG gun, nuke, link nuke, bombers, etc, though limiting/removing the 10k hp levi would make sense. The teleporters in the vents let you fly something up there and either grab the nuke or OMFG gun and delete some levis. Also I'll probably eventually tune down the mino's hp from 7.5k to somewhere around 4-5k since its a bit strong currently. Warhawk is definitely going to be a core-only vehicle so one team can't get both of them.
This is why I don't play on omni much anymore. We (well mostly pooty) go through the effort to balance the vehicles, and it gets subverted by ONSMappingTools. A 7500hp (even 5000hp) mino should not exist. I make maps like ONS-GanjasRoom and ONS-OldSkool, only to collect dust. Maps with shield tanks, link tanks, goliaths, mantas, benders, tyrants get called 'DM maps' because there is no mino. Meanwhile this map gets played almost everyday. The non-randomizer version hasn't been played since. And this isn't meant to be a criticism of your map edits. You are making what the majority players want which I think is the right thing to do.

It's like that movie Idiocracy. The stains have won.
pooty

Post by pooty »

and it gets subverted by ONSMappingTools
Yep that feature should be used purposefully, sparingly. For example, I increased the health on the Dark Levi on Volcano High, mainly because its needed with the myriad of flyers to give it a chance to move and stay alive to actually do something.

Add too many power vehicles and it turns into vehicle instagib.
I make maps like ONS-GanjasRoom and ONS-OldSkool, only to collect dust. Maps with shield tanks, link tanks, goliaths, mantas, benders, tyrants get called 'DM maps' because there is no mino.
Yep and there's several more "normal" edits of many other maps that don't get played. Its mostly because those maps require more skill than spamming with a mino or levi. At least Tryant gets played regularly and it works out pretty well.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I still think we should try map pack rotations. A whole week of nothing but op vehicles and randomizer maps, followed by a week of all standard or non-randomizer (and yes some DM style) maps would give everyone a little something they like.

And I still think the “Must Be This Tall” map idea would be fun to try. Just watching last night, if the thresholds I had of say 200 pph (which is rather low) to get in the flyers, then Coldcut, Ankeedo and Javier wouldn’t have been able to continually waste our flyers on Nevermore.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

I wouldn't mind a map rotation system where once per night, the admins use some external tool to determine the next map and then forceswitch the map to whatever that tool decides. That way, once per night we get to play something that isn't the normal shit, but it won't nuke the playerbase from orbit. Also, if everyone hates the map chosen, the admins can just forceswitch to the next one. If we had a week where only certain maps were in rotation on a given day, a good chunk of the playerbase would be thanos snapped on the days where there aren't maps that they want to play. My main concern is something like what happened yesterday with Starreach would become the norm. We had about ~20 players coming off a Dria game, then Starreach got voted, and the player count got obliterated to about 4. No one wanted to be low-grav dming. Once that map was over, MinusBadgerMeUp was voted and the player count went back up to ~20.

The primary reason why I dislike dm-heavy maps is that there are no counters to the high skill dmers. Anonymous and the like absolutely dominate those maps without any decent way to counter them. On the randomizers, there is usually a decent selection of vehicles that can be used to counter them and there is a lot less getting headshot from out of nowhere. Its the same principle to why the arbiter was so widely hated; getting oneshot repeatedly with no good counter is just not fun.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Rhamp wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:33 pm If we had a week where only certain maps were in rotation on a given day, a good chunk of the playerbase would be thanos snapped on the days where there aren't maps that they want to play.
Yeah, but it's usually the stains that bail on maps that actually require skill and don't have a bunch of spammy vehicles. Sure, that leaves a smaller number of mostly good players, but I prefer those matches over a full server that's 90% stains. And I've played plenty a Starreach map with lots of players, but it's usually mostly more skilled players, just depends who's on that day.

Just imagine, a whole week of playing without boatloads of stains wrecking your team's chances of winning. And while the stains are away for a week, the admins can always force a randomizer map and get one of those in stain free too! Snarf might even come back to play more.
― Mark Twain