Client crash

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
FuriousRabbit

Client crash

Post by FuriousRabbit »

I game on Linux. A year or two ago, I almost never had client crashes. Now they are nightly, sometimes before the first match, almost always after 3 games. In the former, the error is that an index > maxGlobalSerializedPointers (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing). After wiping the cache, it seems okay. For the latter, the game just stalls, after loading, but before it starts. Sometimes I see vehicles, sometimes not. The usual indicator is no other people.

A lot has been added to the server which is nice, but for me, client stability is way down. I wonder how long before I can no longer play like Yeahhh. Are you window's users seeing client crashes at all or is it just a Mac/Linux thing? To reemphasize, a year or two ago, I almost never had client crashes.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Client crash

Post by captainsnarf »

I crash about once a night on omni. Sometimes more but I usually only play a couple matches. I almost always crash loading Dria-Randomizer.

I'm running a custom version of UT2004 that was recently compiled (better fps cap, better mouse input). I usually chalk it up to running the patch, or a problem with Dria specifically.

The crash will show a file and line number. That could be helpful tracking down the issue. Also if there are error messages in your log file. The error you described is a very low level message from the script interpreter. If there is more to the error like a stack trace that would be very helpful also.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:19 pm For the latter, the game just stalls, after loading, but before it starts. Sometimes I see vehicles, sometimes not. The usual indicator is no other people
Get in the habit of setting

Code: Select all

netspeed 1000000
every time you load into a map.

The biggest "crashers" for me are the mechs and UFOs, other than that I don't crash. I exclusively use x64 bin.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Okay, good to know that it's not just me. Anon, often I cannot even get far enough to issue a command.

Also, why is the server down? Is this an attempt to force me to spend time with my family on Thanksgiving?
pooty

Post by pooty »

I get more client crashes than I did say even 3 months ago. Not sure why.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I get client crashes on Landlords and SoL also. The error message points to ServerLogo. I wonder if adding the intro sound is part of the problem. They both have intro sounds too.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Rabbit, does this look familiar?

Code: Select all

Assertion failed: GTotalSerializedPointers < MAX_SERIALIZED_POINTERS [File:UnClass.cpp] [Line: 1233]
Do you use the 32 or 64 bit client?
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Snarf, something like that. I'll record it next time I see it. I use the 64-bit client.

FWIW, I never crash on Landlords and SoL.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I copied that error message from SoL server. It's linux 64 bit server and has been crashing. There might be a problem with 64 bit server in general. We ran 64 bit server for omni briefly before reverting to 32 bit due to all the problems.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

For anyone using the standard 32-bit binary (UT2004.exe), you must use the program below to enable the "Large Address Aware" flag in the executable to be able to use greater than 2GB address space. The server has gotten heavier in the last few years so it's not uncommon to see people crashing due to hitting the 32-bit address limit.

Typical errors include:
  • CreateTexture failed(8007000E).
  • Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.
Program download:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/laa_2_0_4-zip.34392/

Forum thread describing the program:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/
Last edited by Anonymous. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.