Range

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
FuriousRabbit

Range

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Might want to fix the range on the secondary on that green tank with the twisted threads (can't remember the name). You can spam the core from across the map with it.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Range

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Which map?

Also what do you mean by twisted threads? Do you mean the Alligator tank?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

You are talking about the Mo-Breaker.

All the tanks are like that. Projectiles ranges are indirect. They have a speed and lifetime, so range is speed*lifetime. If the range is reduced then you'll hear about unregs :lol:

Don't vote Valarna :) It's really a map problem more than anything.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Might want to fix the range on the secondary on that green tank with the twisted threads (can't remember the name). You can spam the core from across the map with it.
All the tanks are like that. Projectiles ranges are indirect. They have a speed and lifetime, so range is speed*lifetime. If the range is reduced then you'll hear about unregs :lol:
Mobreaker has long range and terrible accuracy. Its only accurate close up. I'd fix the Mino before that.

Generally speaking, miniguns (hitscan) go 15000, Lasers (hitscan) 20000, projectiles often go longer, they are slower (not instant like hitscan), and have to be aimed/timed to hit anything moving far away. Most of the tanks have built in inaccuracy (see Goliath). Mobreaker is worse, but has a faster fire rate. Omni is pretty good. Goliath IIs is purely accurate.

Mobreaker is pretty easily dismantled by a decent flyer. The primary is not accurate, and secondary is bit slow to hit a flyer. So if its spamming across the map, go kill it. Mino is worse, Nuke tank is worse.

If we reduced the range then everyone wonders why their shots don't register, as Snarf said.

Many players don't understand range... watching Fragster I think try to kill flyers on AJY with the beam from Linkatron. The flyers were so far away it wasn't even close.... and a waste of Linkatron.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Spamming the secondary projectiles isnt an optimal use of the Mobreaker anyway.

Mobreaker is a beast if you use buildings or terrain as cover. It needs a cooler name..Atlas tank?

The heavy tank drone spam from across the map is more of an issue because it actually homes in. What's the range on that anyway?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Super Sanka wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:23 am Spamming the secondary projectiles isnt an optimal use of the Mobreaker anyway.

Mobreaker is a beast if you use buildings or terrain as cover. It needs a cooler name..Atlas tank?

The heavy tank drone spam from across the map is more of an issue because it actually homes in. What's the range on that anyway?
So Mobreaker was a play on Solid State's favorite vehicle the lobreaker (which was really weak), so I beefed it up to More (or Mo'breaker)....

Yeah I need to rework the Heavy Goliath Drone. Its actually pretty cool, since its a homing drone that shoots flak. So it has a longer range. I am thinking perhaps significantly reducing the rate of fire, making the drone to a bit more damage... maybe enought that kills a flyer in two shots or so, near Avril/Battery type. Right now it fires pretty fast.

I know enyo hated the fast shock beam, but its not as powerful as Hurricane lasers....
pooty

Post by pooty »

Code: Select all

AccelRate=2200.000000
     Speed=4000.000000
     MaxSpeed=23000.000000
      Damage=175 (Impact)
     DamageRadius=350.000000
     MomentumTransfer=10000.000000
     MyDamageType=Class'HeavyTankV2Omni.DamTypeHeavyTankDrone'
     StaticMesh=StaticMesh'WeaponStaticMesh.RedeemerMissile'
     AmbientSound=Sound'WeaponSounds.RocketLauncher.RocketLauncherProjectile'
     LifeSpan=6.000000
So doing some math, 4000, 6600, 8800, 10000, 12200, 14400 = lots of range. 47,000 UU

Mino Cannon.

Speed=19000.000000
     MaxSpeed=19000.000000
     LifeSpan=1.5

Range = 19000+8500 = 27500

So might be worth reducing the Lifespan and increasing the speed a bit.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I wouldn't mess with the mino cannon speed.

19000ups /40tps = 475upt

ups = unreal units per second
tps = ticks per second
upt = unreal units per tick

It may look like it is moving smoothly on your 200fps client, but on the 40fps server, it jumps 475 units at a time. It's probably why you can sometimes shoot through things and get no hit. I think making it faster will make unregs worse. It's possible the engine interpolates collision between frames but I don't think it does. It think the collision boxes need to overlap for a hit to register.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:46 pm Yeah I need to rework the Heavy Goliath Drone. Its actually pretty cool, since its a homing drone that shoots flak. So it has a longer range. I am thinking perhaps significantly reducing the rate of fire, making the drone to a bit more damage... maybe enought that kills a flyer in two shots or so, near Avril/Battery type. Right now it fires pretty fast.

I know enyo hated the fast shock beam, but its not as powerful as Hurricane lasers....
None of that sounds like nerfing the heavy Goliath by any real measure, which it desperately needs. I know the lasers aren’t as fast as hurricane’s, but with someone like Sanka in it, you can’t get near it with a flyer.

The Heavy Goliath’s homing drone rate of fire and power are not the issue, it’s the range, which is virtually unlimited. Please reduce the range to something reasonable.

Otherwise, if you’re not gonna nerf it, or you’re gonna erroneously make the drone more powerful, please increase the rate of fire for the Falcon and increase the Starbolt speed back to original.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I wouldn't mess with the mino cannon speed.
No that was just for comparison. I do think its too fast, which is why sometimes you get the unregs, but changing it would mess things up badly.
None of that sounds like nerfing the heavy Goliath by any real measure, which it desperately needs. I know the lasers aren’t as fast as hurricane’s, but with someone like Sanka in it, you can’t get near it with a flyer.

The Heavy Goliath’s homing drone rate of fire and power are not the issue, it’s the range, which is virtually unlimited. Please reduce the range to something reasonable.

Otherwise, if you’re not gonna nerf it, or you’re gonna erroneously make the drone more powerful, please increase the rate of fire for the Falcon and increase the Starbolt speed back to original.
Why because you can't just fly in, pepper the shit out of it and fly off?

Laser turret, fire rate 0.5, damage 55. Slightly more powerful than handheld shock rifle, and bit faster (0.5 vs. 0.7). But that's 110 pts / minute. Range 17000,

Hurricane (0.2 fire rate, damage 35-55, min 175 pts to max 275, average of 225 minute. Range 20000,

Falcon fire: (0.15, damage 30 = 200 pts), Range (Time to live 1.6, Speed, 9009, accelerate 24000, maxspeed 29000, so range somewhere in the 30,000 ish.. so you can sit far away and blast the heavy tank and its laser can't hit you.
Only thing that can hit a falcon is tank shot or mino lasers....
Maybe to be fair I should reduce the falcon's range? ;)

So no the primary laser turret isn't even close to being OP. Unless you want me to reduce the falcon to 110 pts/sec and adjust the range? Falcon for one can hit Heavy Tank and not get touched by the shock beam turret....

Think of the homing drone like a Redeemer, Avril, Battery. Reducing the LifeSpan will reduce the range. Maybe setting the max speed to something much less, like 10000, making it start a bit faster, but then limiting its range. Also reducing the rate of fire would also help, since you'd have lots of time between shots, whereas right now it becomes a bit spammy. As a side note I'd love to reduce/remove any spammy homing rockets (Dragon, Hurricane alt-fire) those just spam clear across the map too...except they don't fire flak.

Lets try some small steps. Reduce Rate of fire, reduce the Lifespan and see. It should be an effective weapon against unsuspecting flyers. Sorry if that's not fair, but flyers can pop up from behind a hill unseen, so hitting one "in the back" while its attacking your teammates/nodes is fair game.

AccelRate=2500.000000
Speed=4500.000000
MaxSpeed=10000.000000
LifeSpan=3.500000
4500, 7000, 10000, 5000 = 26,500, slighly less range than falcon.

However it also shoots flak. I can reduce range on that a bit too. Right now its like 20000 (only good in straight line though, no homing).

----- Now all that being said.

I'd love to reduce a bunch of the damage across mulitple vehicles. And I'll post those thoughts in the Damage Reduction thread.