Minimizing crashes and x86 vs. x64

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
Anonymous.

Re: Minimizing crashes and x86 vs. x64

Post by Anonymous. »

amd gpu moment
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Played with 64bit tonight, D9 driver. Played very smooth, never labored, felt smoother than 32bit. Colors and graphics seemed sharper. No noticable issues.
ds8k

Post by ds8k »

infinitecat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:26 pm Or players could just use Macs, which hardly ever crash.

I don't know why gamers prefer PCs. Oh, sure, Macs don't have access to the wide variety of hacks and cheats that PC users are so fond of but...uh.... um....

Never mind.
I've used a Mac for work for the past 10 years and can confirm this to be wildly incorrect.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It seems my fps issue was because reduce mouse lag was default on in the 64 bit version. I turned it off and got similar fps (2800+fps)

*edit*

The audio pitch issue in 64 bit is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

ds8k wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:42 pm
infinitecat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:26 pm Or players could just use Macs, which hardly ever crash.

I don't know why gamers prefer PCs. Oh, sure, Macs don't have access to the wide variety of hacks and cheats that PC users are so fond of but...uh.... um....

Never mind.
I've used a Mac for work for the past 10 years and can confirm this to be wildly incorrect.
Which part? Macs hardly ever crashing or not having access to a wide variety of hacks?

I’ve worked on Macs for 26 years and PCs for about as long, and found the OS has always in general been more stable than any version of Windows, with Windows 7 maybe being the one exception. And the hardware of every Mac I’ve owned has lasted much longer than any PC I’ve ever had.

Still, definitely think that PCs handle video games much better, and there’s a lot of printing RIP software I’ve used that’s only available for Windows. I just prefer the Mac OS for work.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
ds8k

Post by ds8k »

Access to hacks is certainly lower, but that's just a dumb comment overall.

I work in app development so I regularly have to fight the beast that is Xcode. Every update Apple makes to their own software introduces numerous build-breaking bugs that takes days to resolve. My current challenge is getting my dev environment set up on this M1 chip. Support for it is shoddy and requires me googling each new error message hoping someone else has figured out what dumb thing changed just so I can get back to work.

There's not enough time in the day to talk about the issues iOS has.

My first few machines would regularly run out of memory and crash with just a simulator and IDE open. Mind you I've always had the most up-to-date MBP, so it's not like I was trying to do something that wasn't in spec for the machine.

Meanwhile Windows 10/11 with WSL2 has been rock-solid for me for years. If I didn't need a Mac for work I'd probably stick with Windows at this point. The myth of Windows being garbage really only persists in Linux/Mac circlejerks. All platforms have their downsides. Apple doesn't write magical code that can never break.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Uh-oh.

Someone's PC fee-fees are all butt-hurt.

I still remember the days when viruses would regularly destroy the BIOS in my girlfriend's PCs (She developed web sites back in the day). As a Mac user I was astonished, appalled, this could even happen.

After a second occurrence I bought her a used Mac and she's never looked back. (She was so impressed she bought Apple stock... at $23.)

And, FYI, I do all my graphic work on a 2006 Mac Pro. You can't kill these things.
ds8k

Post by ds8k »

It's like people on forums never grew up. Enjoy your 17 year old machine. I'm sure it runs great.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

They all suck in their own shitty ways.

windows - ads in the start menu. Are you sure you don't want edge and bing? Are you really, really sure? our telemetry says you aren't sure so here eat some bing
apple - you're holding it wrong, oh and suck a bag of dongles while your at it
linux - x11/wayland/systemd, finally the year of linux desktop

Fan is short for fanatic. Don't be a fan. They all suck.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:28 pm Fan is short for fanatic. Don't be a fan. They all suck.
Indeed, they all have their flaws because they’re made by flawed humans. There is no right or wrong when it comes to OS, it really comes down to preference and each user’s mixed bag of past experience with whatever OS and hardware they’ve been exposed to.

I’m actually more shocked by the number of people I know that don’t even own an actual computer, and rely on their phone as their primary device. Or, if they do own one it’s a cheap ass prefab PC they bought at Walmart and don’t use it because it’s loaded with bloatware that slows it to a crawl.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain