Time to increase the tick rate?

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Time to increase the tick rate?

Post by captainsnarf »

low tick rate

This is demonstrating player movement.

The same thing applies to projectile weapons. Imagine instead of that being a player, it is a projectile moving through the level.

What happens if you were trying to hit the red box?

That's an unreg. The projectile would literally skip over them.

Imagine if we had a high tick rate

It would be a lot harder to get an unreg. The issue is exaggerated the faster the projectile goes. The mino has the fastest projectile, and this is probably why it has more unregs compared to other tanks. With our 30 tick rate and the mino projectile's speed, the projectile will move in large discrete steps on the server, possibly stepping right through targets.

If we increase the tick rate it would help with that. The steps would be smaller.

We've had problems in the past trying to increase the tickrate, but now that we've fixed the bandwidth issues I'm wondering if we can increase it.

"How do you use a wrench dad?"
"Keep tightening until it gives, then turn it back a quarter turn" :lol:

We should probably keep turning things up until we break something, then dial it back a hair :D
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Time to increase the tick rate?

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:47 pm We should probably keep turning things up until we break something, then dial it back a hair :D
This is pretty much my M.O.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Somewhat of an extreme example but here's 10 tick vs 125 tick trying to hit a shock combo on a localhost server: https://streamable.com/zegnhx
The ping counter is averaged so it doesn't update, but normally I get 0-4 ping with 125 tick rate. Notice how on 10 tick the shock balls take forever to appear, while on 125 it's seemingly instant.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Happy to try it.
Two things, we can't change it without restarting, so if its too much we have to restart. One of the mutators is preventing the admin set command from working, not sure which one.

The other concern is client load, server might be able to handle say a 50 tick rate, but can all the players clients? I'd hope so, but who knows what type of antiquated hardware some are running on.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:19 am Happy to try it.
Two things, we can't change it without restarting, so if its too much we have to restart. One of the mutators is preventing the admin set command from working, not sure which one.
That sucks. Tick rate can be changed on-the-fly with the admin command.
The other concern is client load, server might be able to handle say a 50 tick rate, but can all the players clients? I'd hope so, but who knows what type of antiquated hardware some are running on.
Client and server tick rates are independent. Client tick rate mainly depends on frame rate. The main issue would be the increased bandwidth usage.

I think we should change all the 60000 values to 100000 since they aren't really speeds, but speed limits.

Code: Select all

[BandwidthFix.MutBandwidthFix]
MaxPlayers=32
ClientNetSpeed=60000
bSetClientNetSpeed=true
bPersistClientNetSpeed=true
bSetMaxClientRate=true
MaxClientRateValue=100000

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
MaxClientRate=100000
MaxInternetClientRate=60000

[UTCompOmni.MutUTComp]
MaxNetSpeed=60000
Since increasing the tick rate will use more bandwidth, we don't want to artificially restrict it. The server might handle it with the training wheels off.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I haven't seen any thing hit 60000 yet. I think once I got around 50000. Tick rate is going to increase that.

So say limit 100k. 100kB/s *32 = 3.2 MB/s = 25.6 Mbs which is what the server needs in/out maximum.

I'd say peak right now is about 1/3 of that... mostly traffic I've seen is under 25000, with the occasional spike.

I'll also ask NFO about any bandwidth speeds server side, but I bet its 1 Gb at least.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Confirmed by NFO 1 Gb interface. So good to go there.

Maybe try tick rate of 40 and see...
Will up the limits to 100000, I'll set players at 80000 for now, Tick Rate 40 set. LAN Tick Rate FYI is 35.
Need to see how it runs with many players.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

:D Nice. fingerscrossed it actually helps my noregs
pooty

Post by pooty »

Seemed to do fine with 40 tick rate, cpu < 40% 20-26 players.

Give it another day and if its good. push to 50 or 60.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

60 please :D