Bandwidth Fix

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Bandwidth Fix

Post by pooty »

So tonight, with TickRate 30, Netspeed 50000. 30 players. 40% or less CPU. Hell yeah!
Seemed pretty good to me, no missing stuff, good fps, just a few unregs...but I think a huge improvement.
Thanks Snarf and Anon.

I'll load up 1.3 tomorrow.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah whatever changed it was noticeable for me. Or maybe I was just having a good night.

I had one bad unreg in my favor, a megabadger smoked my hammerhead and nothing happened. Oh well this time it worked out for me.

Other than that it was great. I even managed to kill Anon a couple times!
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:40 pm Yeah whatever changed it was noticeable for me. Or maybe I was just having a good night.

I had one bad unreg in my favor, a megabadger smoked my hammerhead and nothing happened. Oh well this time it worked out for me.

Other than that it was great. I even managed to kill Anon a couple times!
Good job with that mino run, although I think it's you that owe *me* a beer, for making me play another round of junkyard :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

1.3 On the server.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I’m not sure on this yet. Played several maps tonight for the first time since this update and the jury is still out for me. Need to play more maps to see how it does, but a couple of maps seemed fine, really no different than before, and a couple seemed very laggy with tons of unregs. Captain Gordon’s was the worst, had multiple unregs on players and nodes, and several times players were skipping around, suddenly appearing in a different place.

I’ll give it a few more days and see how it does, but I wasn’t really experiencing any significant lag before this update, and after the last server move. Are there any settings adjustments I need to make to my client? From what I’ve read it auto updates things for you, correct?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Bandwidth fix is unrelated to UTComp.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

In: 1387 - How many bytes per second coming from the server
Out: 9846 - How many bytes per second going to the server from you
50000 speed - maximum allowed bytes going to server (netspeed)

Previously the 'In' value was capped at 10000 on the server.
the 'Out' value was capped by your netspeed and was limited by UTComp to 13200.

Now the In and Out values are capped at 50000.

Netspeed doesn't actually change the speed. It changes the speed limit. The server will try to send as much data as it needs. This depends what's going on in-game. With the speed limit increased to 50000 the server has a chance to send all the data without dropping data like it was before. This should result in less unregs not more.

Now, I had a few instances of unregs tonight on Gordon's. There was a player right in front of me, not very evasive and moving in straight lines, but my shots just would not hit. I died shortly after. Upon respawning I could hit like normal again. I was clearly on-target and they were obvious unregs. This is a bug in UTComp enhanced netcode though, not anything to do with bandwidth. I've had it happen a lot of times before we had bandwidth fix.

There is not much you can change on client side. You can change your netspeed in console back to 13200 to get the old limit back. You will have to do this at the start of each match as bandwidth fix will set it to 50000 each match. The other thing would be to turn off enhanced net code in F5 menu if that is causing you problems.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Enyo wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:36 am I’m not sure on this yet. Played several maps tonight for the first time since this update and the jury is still out for me. Need to play more maps to see how it does, but a couple of maps seemed fine, really no different than before, and a couple seemed very laggy with tons of unregs. Captain Gordon’s was the worst, had multiple unregs on players and nodes, and several times players were skipping around, suddenly appearing in a different place.

I’ll give it a few more days and see how it does, but I wasn’t really experiencing any significant lag before this update, and after the last server move. Are there any settings adjustments I need to make to my client? From what I’ve read it auto updates things for you, correct?
Interesting. I have had a lot less unregistered hits after the bandwidth fix. There were a few instances where my shots didn't register on Gordons like Snarf said but it's an overall improvement from what I've had before. I wonder what the server numbers say for last night's matches.
pooty

Post by pooty »

CPU was 40% peak, mostly less for the duration of last nights session.

I too found some unregs on Capt Gordons, but not before that? Strange. How was HomeSweetHome? That did seem to affect nearly all of us, but I didn't see that behavior on previous maps...

Enyo, since the fix you won't see any missing turrets, missing lasers (try the starbolt), or stuff like that. The change is really as Snarf put it the speed limit. If you stat net, and watch the In value on some maps, you might see number as high as 40,000 especially on a busy map, on a map like Minus, I'd see consistently over 20000. Previously, you'd never see that and the server would "drop" non-essential information (sometimes included turrets and laser beam effects). Especially noticable on laser vehicles...where before you wouldn't see the lasers, esp fast ones...now they all show up.

So if you'd like you can set your netspeed back to 13200 and see how it goes. Keep in mind those speeds were something back in '04, today even at 50000 its 50 kBytes/s, so if you're running 300 Mbit/s internet you have (300,000 kb/8 = 37,500 kBytes/s of bandwidth Netspeed 37,500,000 in UT terms.). So for most of us even 10 Mb/s (some of the first "LAN" speeds) would have 1250 kB/s, so plenty of bandwith.

Both network and server CPU are not bottlenecked. That leaves the engine itself and/or your client. Higher detail settings on textures etc, will drop your frame rates. Those wouldn't cause the unregs though that seemed to be server related.

But bottom line, there's no reason to "go back" we've shown via net stats and cpu stats that its a wide spread improvement, and it was needed.

Now I did up the tick rate to 30, and that might have sped things up, but tick rate 28 to 30 should be hard to notice.

As for matches: https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=4290 Bandwidth on (but not everyone is using higher speeds, IMO even 20000 or 30000 isn't sufficient...)

https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=3538 Bandwidth off

Don't really see any stats that jump out either way, there's a bunch of matches that you can compare there. Sadly some of the pure accuracy info isn't captured...

Also, Snarf correct me here, but just because you don't hear hit sound doesn't mean you didn't hit.. hit sound is a low priority item, meaning server will give you it only if you have bandwidth.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

This is kind of a reach but I found you can adjust tick rate on the fly without restarting the server. Perhaps if one of you have spare time and interest, you could make a mutator/serveractor to dynamically adjust tick rate based on player count. Something like
  • ≤8 = 100 tick
  • ≤16 = 50 tick
  • ≤24 = 40 tick
  • ≥25 = 30 tick