Bandwidth Fix

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Bandwidth Fix

Post by captainsnarf »

My guess is it's reading your ini file and not using the server's value. I think it's setting the net speed before the server sends the data.

Try changing MaxClientRate under the [BandwidthFix] section in your ini to 40000.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:51 am Try changing MaxClientRate under the [BandwidthFix] section in your ini to 40000.
I actually deleted that section to make sure it wasn't, and it still gets set to 30000.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The 30000 value is still inside the mutator as a default property. You can delete that section and it will get written back. If you change it though the change will stay. That's why I said try changing it to 40000
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

I see, yes that works if I change it to 40000. I thought it was getting that number from the server. Unless I am missing something else, shouldn't that be adjusted by the server to ensure everyone has the same netspeed, and that the netspeed matches the server's MaxInternetClientRate?
pooty

Post by pooty »

So last night looks like we had 29 players or so, CPU maxed at 46% for a brief spike, most of the time it was under 40%, so I'd say no adverse affect on CPU from increased netspeeds.

I did notice on a couple of heavy maps (MassD, MinusKS), the FPS dropped a bit. So not sure if raising the tick rate is a good idea?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Anonymous. wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:48 am I see, yes that works if I change it to 40000. I thought it was getting that number from the server. Unless I am missing something else, shouldn't that be adjusted by the server to ensure everyone has the same netspeed, and that the netspeed matches the server's MaxInternetClientRate?
It's a bug. It's setting the value on the client before it receives the value from the server. I'll need to make a fix for it.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

pooty wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:04 am So last night looks like we had 29 players or so, CPU maxed at 46% for a brief spike, most of the time it was under 40%, so I'd say no adverse affect on CPU from increased netspeeds.

I did notice on a couple of heavy maps (MassD, MinusKS), the FPS dropped a bit. So not sure if raising the tick rate is a good idea?
Last night I saw the "in" bandwidth reach the 40k cap a few times in nevermore, so there really isn't much leeway to increase it anyway without going even higher with the bandwidth. All the effects that were previously missing are now getting rendered, so that would explain your lower FPS, but I don't see why increasing the tick rate would make the FPS that much worse since nothing extra is being rendered beyond what used to be missing in the first place. Also on newer windows versions (I think 10+, not sure about 8) the FPS cap is hideously broken so your cap could be jumping to lower than what your actual FPS is.
captainsnarf wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:08 am It's a bug. It's setting the value on the client before it receives the value from the server. I'll need to make a fix for it.
Ah ok. I know you didn't ask but a quick and dirty fix would be to set the default to 100k, at least until someone tries to use higher than 100k MaxInternetClientRate on their server. :shock:
pooty

Post by pooty »

Might be worth bumping the netspeed to 50000, its not like the "extra" bandwidth is costly, if it doesn't use it its basically free.

I may try tick rate to 30 (where it was on the old server), as well. Hard to really tell/test without 20+ active players.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I set TickRate to 30, Netspeed 50000.

Tried server with 32 bots on Minus-KS, peak in was 39,000 or so bytes in, out didn't seem to be issues usually <10,000. FPS was somewhat lowered ~110fps range, but the play was unaffected. This will probably change with human players so we will have to see.

But even at 50000 (which tells the server it can send 50,000 bytes, or 50kB (strictly 48.8Kb/s to each client). Now at 32 players, * 50kB, that's 1,600 kB/s or 1.6 MB/s. Yes, the total out bound server bandwith is 1.6 MB/sec. Would be 12.8 Mb (note little b as in bits per second 8 bits make a byte). Not exactly concerning in this day and age. Heck, my Spectrum home connection is 350 Mb/s down and 22 Mb/s Upload, so almost twice the bandwidth at home to host. Our hosting provider has >400 Gb capacity..and I don't believe they throttle the game at all.

There's also the fps calc, which is fps *64 bytes, so 300 fps = 19,200 bytes, so now fps isn't limited by network.. and likely not limited by your client machine (unless you're playing on some crappy system from 15 years ago, sorry.). Limit will be now, I suspect the engine itself, and any other inefficiencies in networks, setups.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

New version! Download here BandwidthFix_1.3.zip

1.3 Changes

- Fix replication issue so server config is sent to clients. Clients always used default config in previous versions.