Basilisk...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Basilisk...

Post by pooty »

I want to tweak this vehicle too. Its kind of fun. As some don't realize the alt-fire energy wave ignores walls/meshes/terrain, passes through for damage. Decent against slower targets with primary fire.

Thinking three variants:

Basilisk, same as now, but with some increase in ground speed (maybe similar to Aegis), and some traction increase for climbing hills, maybe similar to Aegis as well. Small tweaks. This one bugs me because its so damn slow...

Dark Basilisk - Darker, faster variant, less damage on beam, less on Wave. Same health (800)

Heavy Basilisk, aka, Tarragon, - Maybe same speed as current one, more health (1250?), slight increase to beam damage, increase size, damage and distance of the energy wave (thinking maybe size slighty bigger, damage slightly more and maybe 1.5 times range).

May add in the Poltergiest, which is the hover tank (aka firebug) version of the Basilisk. Might be fun to make that like the firebug movement wise with reduced damage (energy beam?), maybe that takes the place of Dark Basilisk above...
Enyo

Re: Basilisk...

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 am Heavy Basilisk, aka, Tarragon, - Maybe same speed as current one, more health (1250?), slight increase to beam damage, increase size, damage and distance of the energy wave (thinking maybe size slightly bigger, damage slightly more and maybe 1.5 times range).
Oh God, please no! The Basilisk already seems to have really long range and does a lot of damage to flyers - what is it currently??? Increased health, damage and distance would make all flyers useless anywhere near it. If you're gonna make this behemoth of an anti-air tank, then you need to increase the Omega's firing distance back to what it used to be. But, then you get right back into that escalation problem.

I'll say it again, there always seems to be this push to make tanks stronger and stronger, while making flyers weaker and weaker. I think the balance we have of vehicles right now is pretty good. I'd vote for minor tweaks to the existing Basilisk, but please do not create the monstrosity of a Heavy Basilisk!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Re: Basilisk...

Post by pooty »

I was really intended to beef up the pass through Energy wave for close in stuff. Wasn't any intent to make it more potent against the fliers. Think lumbering behemoth type tank.

I could leave the beam alone, or even weaken it as compensation. Its good against unsuspecting fliers, but its fairly slow to track against faster ones, maybe slow down the rotation on the heavy version, with same damage. A nimble falcon/wasp would kill it pretty quick compared to say mino/hurricane/firetank (anything with lasers/miniguns)
The Basilisk already seems to have really long range and does a lot of damage to flyers - what is it currently??? Increased health, damage and distance
I was going to re-evaluate what it was currently. Not even sure what range is on it, but shouldn't be any more than 20000 (lasers), since I think its a beam/hit scan vs. projectile.
I think lasers are on full on hit somewhere in the 150-220 damage/s (10 beams/s at 15-22 damage each), so say 220 pts/sec as max damage? Remember a rail tank does 400 pts in ONE SHOT. Not sure where Basilisk lies though...but it is more continous over time.