Link Nuke Flipping...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Link Nuke Flipping...

Post by Enyo »

Was thinking that it's rather odd that the link nuke even destroys nodes at all. I don't think it should, I mean regular nukes only damage nodes, so why shouldn't link nukes only heal them? Would it be difficult to remove the damage it does?

I realize this means it wouldn't damage foot soldiers or vehicles either, but I kinda think it shouldn't. The fact it does makes it a bit too powerful... clearing a node completely of enemies as it fully links it seems a bit much. Makes it exponentially more powerful than a regular nuke. And, I think if the doofuses that use it to destroy nodes see that it no longer does, maybe they'll quit wasting it.

Thoughts?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Sure, that's no problem. I'll post up a new version when I get home from work
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 pm Sure, that's no problem. I'll post up a new version when I get home from work
Cool, thanks!

Without damage to enemies, it'll require a little more teamwork to clear out a node before it'll effectively build it - a good thing IMO.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

For whatever reason with ONSPowerNodeSpecial the health was already 0 so my > 0 check was failing. I changed it to check if CoreStage != 4 instead.
Seems like a bug if .Health isn't reporiing right... but at least its fixed.
Without damage to enemies, it'll require a little more teamwork to clear out a node before it'll effectively build it - a good thing IMO.
Maybe just reduce the damage (I think we can do that in the config?).... but is the node destruction built in? Meaning I think I can change the damage in the config file, but even at say 75 pts, (which would clear wounded enemy infantry, not much to vehicles or nodes), it still fully destroys the node.

So firing a link nuke with small amount of damage at an attackable node is still somewhat of a waste, but not completely:
- it will kill wounded enemy foot soliders
- damage the node so the enemy can't continue to spawn
- heal any friendlies in the radius (is the radius same as deemer? I don't think so, maybe it doesn't automagically kill the node, maybe increase the heal radius.

Imagine its a shit fight at an enemy node, and clearing is going badly..link nuke it, healing all of your team and their vehicles, stopping new spawns, and slightly damaging (enemies). This would help take down a contested node.
Or
I don't think I've seen it used but on Minus it'd be pretty good for on the fly mino healing right at the dognuts spot...

Neither of which not as powerful as fully building a key node but can be useful.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Code: Select all

[CSLinkNuke.MutUseLinkNuke]
bHealNodes=True
NodeHealRate=150
NodeHealDuration=5.000000
bHealPlayers=True
PlayerHealRate=15
PlayerHealDuration=5.000000
PlayerHealMax=199
bHealVehicles=True
VehicleHealRate=130
VehicleHealDuration=5.000000
VehicleHealMax=2000
Damage=251
RespawnTime=90
bFlipNodes=False
CoreDamage=2000
Does the Core Damage apply to nodes? Might not even need a code change. And we could set Damage instead of 251, to 100 or less?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It needs a code change. It's hard coded to do 5000 damage to nodes. That might be the easiest change - make node damage configurable.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

New version! Download here CSLinkNuke_2.1.zip

Changes
- Add 'NodeDamage' config option. Default is 5000 (kills node).

* even when setting this value to 0, 'Damage' config option (default is 250) will still be applied to all actors including nodes in the blast radius
** 'Damage' option is multiplied x 10 against vehicles (this behavior has been this way a long time now)
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:22 pm New version! Download here CSLinkNuke_2.1.zip

Changes
- Add 'NodeDamage' config option. Default is 5000 (kills node).

* even when setting this value to 0, 'Damage' config option (default is 250) will still be applied to all actors including nodes in the blast radius
** 'Damage' option is multiplied x 10 against vehicles (this behavior has been this way a long time now)
So, what's it currently set to?

I'd really like to see it do no damage to a node at all, that's gonna be the only way to get players like Coldcut to stop wasting it. He did it again last night on Dria, node 1 was almost dead with 3 different flyers hitting it and here comes Coldcut to finish off the last 20 health on the node with the link nuke, instead of waiting 1 more sec where he could've fully linked it instantly instead. Dumb.

And why in the world does a link nuke do more damage to the core than a regular nuke? That just makes zero sense.

If it's configurable now to do zero damage to a node, can we please try that out?
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I haven't uploaded the newest version yet.
Here's what I propose:

Code: Select all

[CSLinkNuke.MutUseLinkNuke]
bHealNodes=True
NodeHealRate=150
NodeHealDuration=5.000000
bHealPlayers=True
PlayerHealRate=20
PlayerHealDuration=5.000000
PlayerHealMax=199
bHealVehicles=True
VehicleHealRate=175
VehicleHealDuration=5.000000
VehicleHealMax=2500
Damage=100
RespawnTime=90
bFlipNodes=False
CoreDamage=2000
NodeDamage=0
What about doing core damage? I think that's good to leave as is.
I'd really like to see it do no damage to a node at all, that's gonna be the only way to get players like Coldcut to stop wasting it.
Maybe, or may be they will just use to heal random vehicles...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:16 pm What about doing core damage? I think that's good to leave as is.
I'd really like to see it do no damage to a node at all, that's gonna be the only way to get players like Coldcut to stop wasting it.
Maybe, or may be they will just use to heal random vehicles...
Core damage is fine I guess, but doesn't it do more than the regular nuke? That seems odd, regular nuke should do as much or more core damage.

With Damage=100, it'll still do 100 damage to a node correct? That would also kill most foot soldiers, and didn't snarf say vehicles take 10x damage?

I just don't agree with it doing damage to enemies at all, makes taking over a node (and a map) way too easy. Would like to see how it plays with zero damage. We can always change it if everyone hates it like that, but we played this game the previous 17/18 years without it at all, so it's not like we're taking away or changing a long standing item. It breaks gameplay when it does damage AND heals everything friendly, too OP.
pooty wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:42 pm I don't think I've seen it used but on Minus it'd be pretty good for on the fly mino healing right at the dognuts spot...

Neither of which not as powerful as fully building a key node but can be useful.
I did just that the other night... can't remember who was in the mino on MTMU-KS, but he was wrecking nodes for us, he was on fire and I link nuked him back to almost full health. He was near the enemy dognuts spot between 5/7 and the middle, and others were already building 8/9, so it seemed the best use. He was able to get over to 1/2 in time to take it out too.

Getting rid of damage completely would further encourage this kind of use of it.
― Mark Twain