Would you donate for a faster, better server?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

Would you be willing to donate more for a better server

Poll ended at Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:41 pm

Hell no, I am a leech
No votes
Yes, can give at least $20 year
29%
Yes, I can give $50 or more a year
64%
Yes, I am a bigballer and would bank roll at least half a year or more..
7%

Total votes: 14

pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Would you donate for a faster, better server?

Post by pooty »

So we have a relatively inexpensive hosting today. Its about $436 a year, which includes the Game Server, Redirect and this forum.

Given some of our heavy maps we are thinking about testing on a dedicated machine with a faster processor to see if that resolves some of the lag. To continue this, it would require much more operating cash ~1200 a year.

Would you be willing to donate more for a better server?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Would you donate for a faster, better server?

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

For the public record I voted for $50+/year

I definitely have at least 50 dollars worth of fun per year playing by playing UT!
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Yes, I would throw $50/year toward a dedicated server.
COLDCUT

Post by COLDCUT »

poof
Last edited by COLDCUT on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I have symmetric gigabit fiber. I could host the server under my desk.

We don't want to do that though because look what happened to the old server. That's why we are looking at hosting providers like the current server setup.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Well this kinda sucks. If you throw out the outliers, the pay $20 and pay half a year's costs vote, we barely have enough ($300) committed for the $400some we need for our current operating expenses. No where near the $1200some we need for a dedicated server.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:34 am Well this kinda sucks. If you throw out the outliers, the pay $20 and pay half a year's costs vote, we barely have enough ($300) committed for the $400some we need for our current operating expenses. No where near the $1200some we need for a dedicated server.
Yep, I think we are stuck where we are at. Last night I changed my 'bankroll' vote to a $50 vote after seeing the same maps voted (again). I don't want to bankroll shit I don't want to play. We have players like Azazel and Ecmerd voting for MassD and getting 0 nodes constructed, 0 nodes destroyed. Why do they even play? Vehicle death match? That's not a game I want to play.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:58 am
McLovin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:34 am Well this kinda sucks. If you throw out the outliers, the pay $20 and pay half a year's costs vote, we barely have enough ($300) committed for the $400some we need for our current operating expenses. No where near the $1200some we need for a dedicated server.
Yep, I think we are stuck where we are at. Last night I changed my 'bankroll' vote to a $50 vote after seeing the same maps voted (again). I don't want to bankroll shit I don't want to play. We have players like Azazel and Ecmerd voting for MassD and getting 0 nodes constructed, 0 nodes destroyed. Why do they even play? Vehicle death match? That's not a game I want to play.
Good point. The vast majority of our players purely engage in vehicle death match and rarely bother with nodes. A quick look at the stats from just about every match proves that. Every team has 3-4 players with 80% of the nodes built/destroyed. Even some “good” players like Anonymous are content with sitting back and sniping with lasers, more interested in racking up kills than nodes.

I’m personally fine with the server where it’s at. The lag is rare anymore and usually only on really resource heavy maps like Kitchen Sink. Why would we triple our operating expenses for mild improvements? And like pooty pointed out, maybe it’s not the hardware but rather just the outdated engine that can’t handle all the mods and newer vehicles.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Judas

Post by Judas »

I can throw some bigger $ if we want it. I started playing on here in 2012 when I was completely broke, and I am doing better now
snake98

Post by snake98 »

Enyo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:53 am
captainsnarf wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:58 am
Good point. The vast majority of our players purely engage in vehicle death match and rarely bother with nodes. A quick look at the stats from just about every match proves that. Every team has 3-4 players with 80% of the nodes built/destroyed. Even some “good” players like Anonymous are content with sitting back and sniping with lasers, more interested in racking up kills than nodes.

I’m personally fine with the server where it’s at. The lag is rare anymore and usually only on really resource heavy maps like Kitchen Sink. Why would we triple our operating expenses for mild improvements? And like pooty pointed out, maybe it’s not the hardware but rather just the outdated engine that can’t handle all the mods and newer vehicles.
Where do you see the nodes constructed and destroyed at?