Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Super Sanka

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by Super Sanka »

Zero lag for me today. Gj!
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by captainsnarf »

We made some more changes to UTComp. How did it do last night? I see we had up to 24 players. Any lag issues?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

30 players tonight. I didn't notice any lag and cpu usage never reached 40%. Did we fix it?! maybe
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Definitely no lag tonight, everything seemed pretty smooth.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Sorry all, but I had some lag. I had a few moments where for example someone would be jumping out of their raptor and I load up my rocket launcher to have the projectiles meet them where they land, and they just disappear. Also some random incidents where I think I'm shooting at someone who is not engaging with me and then I suddenly get killed by them. Sounds like this might be on my end though?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Still had some here and there but mostly I think on different vehicles/interactions. My fps stayed pretty constant.
Also the chart shows 26 players at max 36% CPU which I think was pretty good.

I do wonder, Snarf, if we should review the vehicles, especially the tick() function for any bad practices, some vehicles we've edited usually get the once over, but for lots of things we just basically use/copy doesn't get reviewed. And as with much of the UT code we find quality can vary.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I think all the fire vehicles need new fire effects. I believe they copy/paste/borrow the same emitters, and they all seem to suck. I go from 180fps to 30fps pretty quickly if I spam the fire weapons like chefrut(sp?).

I have a special UTComp project I'm working on for ceonss so i'll be a bit preoccupied until it's finished. After that I'm happy to go over the vehicles for improvements.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think all the fire vehicles need new fire effects. I believe they copy/paste/borrow the same emitters, and they all seem to suck
Yep. Especially the ones that set things on fire--which is IMO really cool, but if you spam fast with the flame tank it will really kill the fps. And I know Enyo had some issues with Draco on the server -- its nearly immediate without server load but at load it seems to get a delay sometimes.

For those reading at home, keep in mind that often the effects, especially on beams/hitscan, will often lag the true target (Trace in game code). For example the tracers on the badger don't indicate the true hit point- you want to keep the aim crosshair on the target regardless of what the tracers are doing, same wiht link bems (link flyer/wraith/etc.)
This is different for projectiles (ie. tank shells, raptor/falcon plasma) where those actually have to hit -- meaning the projectile as drawn needs to impact the target. Only exception is really fast projectiles (ie. mino shell) has some oddness to it -- ie unreg hits where I think because of its speed it gets miscalculated in game.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:31 am I go from 180fps to 30fps pretty quickly if I spam the fire weapons like chefrut(sp?).
You guys with your crazy high FPS settings... is it a possibility those of you that have settings adjusted to allow for super high FPS may experience more lag because of it? Seems strange that you would ever go from 180 all the way down to 30 fps. I play with the standard settings and top out at 80-85 fps, and rarely ever do I see the fps drop below 65-70 unless there's the occasional server wide lag.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The drop in frame rate from the fire weapons is all graphics related.