Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by pooty »

Hmm..not sure I've seen that. Not sure why it would all the sudden start. Mobreaker turret uses same projectiles I wonder if it does it too?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Fixed it. Only happened for my on 64-bit mode... I had imported the raw .tga file, and there were options that needed to be set... but use the common texture WVMercuryMissles_tex that every other vehicle (should) use.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

On MassD node 2, there is some invisible wall inside the node that you can get hung up on. You will walk through it but it slows you down. It's really weird.

Every vehicle damage type needs to say the name of the vehicle!
snarf was OBLITERATED
By what ffs! Who the fuck knows. There are a half dozen vehicles with exact the same message. If I have time I will try to fix that.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Every vehicle damage type needs to say the name of the vehicle!
Yep I try to clean those up when I edit a vehicle package. Speaking of which I think UTComp also has some hard coded vehicle/damage types for the stats it keeps --- on weapon stats I see "Custom n", I think those are coded. Not sure if that makes UTComp then dependent on the other packages though. Same I think with UTSTats DB, but its a fair amount of manual work... and if I was retired sure, but sadly we still have our day jobs...
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

If we're changing weapon messages, can we change the backpack bomb "an hero" meme? I personally know the family whose tragedy started that messed up internet joke (not kidding). Since this game's heyday was around the time that happened and whoever created the weapon made it that way, this is seems to be the last corner of the internet where I see it regularly. It's not a huge deal but part of me would feel better if that were wiped.
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/maga ... lls-t.html
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am If we're changing weapon messages, can we change the backpack bomb "an hero" meme? I personally know the family whose tragedy started that messed up internet joke (not kidding). Since this game's heyday was around the time that happened and whoever created the weapon made it that way, this is seems to be the last corner of the internet where I see it regularly. It's not a huge deal but part of me would feel better if that were wiped.
I refuse to pay for the NY Times… can you give us a free article link from somewhere else or the gist of the story?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:08 am
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am If we're changing weapon messages, can we change the backpack bomb "an hero" meme? I personally know the family whose tragedy started that messed up internet joke (not kidding). Since this game's heyday was around the time that happened and whoever created the weapon made it that way, this is seems to be the last corner of the internet where I see it regularly. It's not a huge deal but part of me would feel better if that were wiped.
I refuse to pay for the NY Times… can you give us a free article link from somewhere else or the gist of the story?
You can read it for free in an incognito window. But in a nutshell:

He was a middle schooler who was struggling with bullying, knew where their gun was at home and shot himself. Him mom came home, found him and took him to the hospital where he died. Talk about nightmare fuel.

This happened in the Myspace era, and many classmates began posting public comments as a memorial. Them being middle schoolers, there were grammatical errors. One of them had "an hero" in it and that became the meme for someone who kills themself. "_____ became an hero". This became a huge internet joke.

Then people started doxxing the shit out of his parents. They'd call the house all the time, vandalize his grave etc. One of my relatives knew him and I've met his parents only a few times, so it's not like a thing I'm going to bring up to them. But they're super nice people and it's really sad the torment they went through (and probably still do).
pooty

Post by pooty »

I can change it, but its not an easy change. I have to extract the Backpack nuke, edit it, repackage it, and then edit every map that its on, as the package is usually embedded in the map. I'm not sure what an appropriate message would be as you do blow yourself up, eg. suicide using it. And suicide is a serious issue (as well as exploding/bombing etc..), so not really a good way to express it. Maybe something like "XXXXX went boom" or "XXXXX dropped his backpack".
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Is the linknuke embedded in some maps? This might be why it 'flips' nodes on e.g. Minus-Randomizers.

'XXXXX blew himself up real good"
pooty

Post by pooty »

Is the linknuke embedded in some maps? This might be why it 'flips' nodes on e.g. Minus-Randomizers.
Not sure. I generally don't like to embed things in maps for two reasons:
- to update the package(linknuke, vehicle etc.) you have to edit the map
- any class name conflicts cause odd conflicts...say you have two vehicles that have a class called the same thing (eg. TankCannon), which ever one gets loaded last wins, it overwrites it -- and then stuff doesn't work right (we had that issue with Short Circuit and Plasma tank btw).

It does make the map dependent on the packages, which was a big concern when downloading and distributing for offline play, but that's not a big concern anymore...

I'll check when I get a minute.