Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by pooty »

FYI, Wraith - 2nd seat altfire is still messed up. I am going to have to redo it, I've been through the code twice and still isn't right. Somehow it doesn't work right on the server. It works on my test server, but once everyone gets on the beam is either invisible or goes all screwy. I think I will just change it to the link flyer gun, which we know works.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The link flyer gun has issues also. It doesn't always update either so appears invisible, or at least is so far off the mark so you don't see it. To me it felt like the wraith had the same issues. I'm not sure converting it to a link beam will fix it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah got your PM, I'll add that code.

What's strange is linkbeameffect is from link gun, so ONSWeapon, BeamEffect = LinkBeamEffect (from xEmitter). Same with ONSFlyer but we really don't see issues with LinkGun. It might be the fact that the vehicles move more/faster so the engine has to keep updating the beam start more on vehicle than a (relatively slow) player...
pooty

Post by pooty »

Still working on the invisible (to everyone else) beams from Wraith and Odin turrets.
The Code needs rewritten... ugh, I've eliminated several functions that apparently did nothing and fixed several things already, but I have a ways to go.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Yeah, a lot of mods have just copy/pasted stuff blindly and so there is a lot of cruft left behind. Hard to know what does what.

There seems to be a bug with the latest LinkNuke, ever since I made it not push/pull friendly players. Sometimes it will kill the node and build it all in one go. It seems to happen if you are standing on the node when you shoot the link nuke. I'm not sure why this happens since the only thing different is the push/pull. Maybe because before you were pushed off the node when it started to healing it that the bug was avoided? Not sure.

Did you see there is a new version of UTComp? I fixed the hit sounds for vehicles. It turns out there was code to only do hit sounds in first person, not third person. So if you were zoomed all the way in while in a vehicle then you got hit sounds, but usually that's not the case. It's fixed in UTCompOmni 1.30
pooty

Post by pooty »

Did you see there is a new version of UTComp? I fixed the hit sounds for vehicles.
Yeah I'll load it up later today. But I am going to turn it off for the A/B test. I really hope it isn't UTComp or if it is, that there's something we can do to tweak it.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

If you turn off netcode on the server then it doesn't create any of the expensive actors or 'collisioncopy' things. With netcode off on the server, it's basically just ONSPlus with hitsounds and bright skins.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Oh, one more bug, heh.

I noticed in the randomizer maps the vehicles listed on the minimap never get updated. It's a bug in UTComp/ONSPlus minimap code which assumes the vehicles don't change between rounds. I can fix it but it will be harder to fix.

I'll think there is a starbolt at node 1 (from round 1), but instead it's a stupid scorpion (round 2). :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

So researching how to fix the Wraith/Odin invisible beam turrets and I found this:
https://faculty.cc.gatech.edu/~riedl/cl ... index.html

UT2004 Homework lol.

I think part of the problem with that WraithGun is its all coded as projectile vs. instant (hit scan). Beams are hit scan with an effect. The primary fire, the bouncing projectiles is projectile, not sure you can mix and match those at not without explicitly changing weapon states.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

You can mix and match them OK.

class ONSWeapon has property 'bInstantFire'. It also has two methods 'Fire' and 'AltFire'.

If bInstantFire is true, then these are the methods

Code: Select all

function Fire(Controller C)
    {
        // ... do some stuff like flash the muzzle, play a sound

// actually do the fire which causes damage, spawn emitters so you can see it
        TraceFire(WeaponFireLocation, WeaponFireRotation);
    }

function AltFire(Controller C)
    {
        // default does nothing
    }
}
If bInstantFire is false, then these are the methods

Code: Select all

function Fire(Controller C)
    {
        //spawns a projectile, also does stuff like flash muzzle and play a sound
    	SpawnProjectile(ProjectileClass, False);
    }

function AltFire(Controller C)
    {
        if (AltFireProjectileClass == None)
            Fire(C);
        else
            SpawnProjectile(AltFireProjectileClass, True);
    }
So if you want an 'instant fire' weapon to spawn projectiles instead, you could override Fire to call SpawnProjectile. If you want a projectile weapon to do instant fire/hit scan, you can override Fire to call TraceFire.