LinkVehicles 3.0

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

LinkVehicles 3.0

Post by pooty »

So given some other discussions, probably makes sense to work on standardizing the LinkTank. I think the LinkBadger can stay as is in CSBadgerFix.

So there's (at least) 3 variants of the link tank. (detailed on the old forum but now gone...)
I think though we want the Link Tank to:
1. Support Link Stacking, meaning you linking the link tank not only heals it but adds to link output. Believe it or not, not every variation did this. Usually the ones with the yellow sides were able to do this.
2. Multiple seats, some were 1 seaters, others had link plasma turret, others had link plasma turrent, and plasma laser turret.
3. Variations on health 500,900, 1000 health.

Now there's also the link Scorpion too, might be worth putting that in the this package.

So I propose,
Link Scorpion - Small, low health 200ish, link is the only weapon, fast. NO link stacking.

Link Bender - Based off Hell Bender, primary would be link plasma, secondary link beam heals (maybe from Goat Sucker), third plasma lasers or twin beams. 600 health (this could be a tank based as well but thought a Bender would be more fun, generally faster and more manuverable) No link stacking.

Link Tank 3.0 - 850hp, 3 seats, primary like link tank today, second seat secondary link beam heals (goat sucker?), third laser turret.

Chupacabra - As it sits today.

Thoughts?

At the very least I'd like to standardize the LinkTank....
captainsnarf

Re: LinkVehicles 3.0

Post by captainsnarf »

I think all the link vehicles are overpowered and in some ways are game altering for ONS.

If you disregard snipertron (which was broken/bugged), every match on xmas revolved around linkatron. Pretty much every game I've played with a goatsucker in it was about chasing the goatsucker around. And i know mclovin will go for the link badger every time he finds one. He knows. That thing kicks ass if your goal is to win at ONS. This is probably ok though. If we weren't chasing around op link vehicles it would be op tanks.

Map placement will be important of course
if enyo and leon both get a linkbot we might as well vote

here is link stacking

Code: Select all

damage = baseDamage + (baseDamage * numLinks * 1.5)
1 linkgun = 9 damage
1 linkatron gun = 45 damage

3 linkguns (2 linkers + 1 linkgun) = 9 + 9 * 2 * 1.5 = 36 damage
3 linkatrons linking a player healing a node = 9 + 9 * 3 * 1.5 = 50 damage
3 players linking a single linkatron = 45 + 45 * 3 * 1.5 = 248 damage

3 players linking a single linkatron is 5x more powerful than 3 linkatrons linking a single player!
pooty

Post by pooty »

Agree.
Link Tanks most of the versions are generally pretty slow. And not hard to kill especially the 500hp one.
Link Badger changes this dramatically. Its much faster, more powerful?, and 1000hp!
Goat Sucker is even faster, more manuverable and flies. 450hp max. Does it have any weapon vulnerabilty? eg. More damage from LG, or shock, Avrils? We should pick some vulnerabilties for link vehicles...

Even the other vehicles with link/drain aren't nearly as powerful as link badger or goat sucker. Wraith Second seat, or Odin 2nd/3rd seats have it. Heck a fully loaded Odin 2.0 close up would be a bit scary -- you can use Odin/Hospitaler and Linkatron pretty effectively on HSM-XMas.

Now a 500 hp tank won't last long at all, even a goliath kills it in two shots, it has no healing capability, so I thought 850 was good number. Linkatron is a beast, a mobile, high strength link tank with 1600hp. Maybe the numlinks multiplier/base damage in the multiplier on LinkaTron needs reduced?

Maybe the link badger needs to lose some health, maybe back to 600hp like most other badgers?

Goat Sucker IMO isn't that bad, maybe just reduce the drain/heal a bit.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:18 am ...
Maybe the link badger needs to lose some health, maybe back to 600hp like most other badgers?
Don't F up the link badger on BadgerMeUp, I got it tuned well, LOL When a hover badger challenges me, I always go straight at it and kill them in seconds. Then I hijack their left-over hover-badger so they don't get it again for a minute. Makes me laugh every time.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Maybe make the link scorp a more noticeable color? I've seen it sit for entire rounds (and I'm guilty of this too) because I think it just looks like a normal one and gets ignored. Many times I've hopped in and been pleasantly surprised to find it's the link scorp.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:56 pm Maybe make the link scorp a more noticeable color? I've seen it sit for entire rounds (and I'm guilty of this too) because I think it just looks like a normal one and gets ignored. Many times I've hopped in and been pleasantly surprised to find it's the link scorp.
I agree... but why is the link scorpion so weak compared to all other link vehicles? Scorpions suck in general, they get knocked around super easy and the steering is awful. And it wouldn't matter if they had 50 or 1000 health, half the time you die or get knocked out well before the damn scorpion ever blows up.

Why no primary fire like the other link vehicles? Makes me NEVER want to get in it. I'd be better off flying to the node in a manta or raptor and linking it on foot. At least then I can defend myself.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

The link scorpion has primary fire is the link beam (its purplish). Its not very long range though. Alt-fire is the (nearly useless) scorpion blades. Maybe alt-fire should be like the boost (EONS) scorpions... it could help it get to nodes/vehicles to link faster and provides an "escape" from opponents.

Updating the appearance would be one of the items to complete..we have various shades of "link green". I'm not very good at image manipulation at updating the textures. I know ItsMeAgain did a nice job on the GoatSucker.. I wonder if we know anyone good at graphic design that could help?
Canon Fodder

Post by Canon Fodder »

Did I see a Link Hoverboard on one map? If not, that would be sweet. Fast, nimble, and links up nodes.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes and No. Its a hoverboard with a grapple (like the grapple gun) so you can get towed by any vehicle including flyers... it doesn't link nodes. We really need to change the color of the grapple to be blue or something.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:34 pm The link scorpion has primary fire is the link beam (its purplish). Its not very long range though. Alt-fire is the (nearly useless) scorpion blades. Maybe alt-fire should be like the boost (EONS) scorpions... it could help it get to nodes/vehicles to link faster and provides an "escape" from opponents.

Updating the appearance would be one of the items to complete..we have various shades of "link green". I'm not very good at image manipulation at updating the textures. I know ItsMeAgain did a nice job on the GoatSucker.. I wonder if we know anyone good at graphic design that could help?
Feels like scorpions and their variants are sorta the red-headed stepchild of OMNI. They're the only ones that just feel mostly useless and out of place on our server. I hardly ever get in one, I think that goes for most players since I see scorpions idle all the time. I usually only ever see the bottom feeder players in them, with everyone else taking one only in desperation. Just about every time I get in one I die before accomplishing anything meaningful.

Problem is, I'm not sure what can be done with them. They're not very useful with all the varied and powerful types of vehicles we now have. Hell, I didn't even like scorpions when it was all stock vehicles.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain