LinkVehicles 3.0

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: LinkVehicles 3.0

Post by pooty »

Yes, except I don't think the original Link Tank has link stacking..I think that was added on later variations, hence the reason to clean them up and make them consistent.

But generally when the links stack, better to link the link tank/bager than the other way around.
ItsMeAgain

Post by ItsMeAgain »

Is there any resemblance of unit testing in this script lang? i have looked but not real hard. These type of checks and such fit well with unit tests. i will investigate, easier than experimenting with a stop watch :) I see the code and yes, depends on the # of multipliers but not vv. I think is great idea to have a super class or inheritance for the link vehicles, easier to maintain.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I poked around the link tank code..

The link tank we should always use is in OnslaughtToys1.u (ONSLinkTank, Link Tank 2.0), same code is in BadgerFix,
Snarf does CSBadgerFix replaced OnslaughtToys1.ONSLinkTank with CSBadgerFix.ONSLinkTank?
Main weapon link cannon, with 1.5 modifier on number of linkers.
Secondary Pulse (no link modifier)
Tertiary Link lasers, with a 1.0 modifier on number of linkers
So linking a LinkTank 2.0 not only increases the driver weapon damage/healing, but also the damage of the 3rd seat laser turret. IMO it should increase the 2nd damage too but the code isn't there/finished for it.

I did confirm that the other "style" of link vehicles (Banshee/Wraith, Odin) do NOT stack with linkers..linkers only heal those vehicles.

However, the Link Scorpion has a 1.5 modifier, as does the Link Badger2 (CSBadgerFix) and Goat Sucker.

So, question? Should we make the Link Tank 2nd seat have stackable? It should, but hardly anyone ever uses gunners except in the mino. (I swear one day I am going to make a gunner seat that shoots unlimited deemers and see if anyone finds it).

Should we make the link on the Wraith/Odin stackable? My initial thought is no, as both those heal themselves too..and that's quite a benefit for relatively tough vehicles..

The GoatSucker is the only one with stackable linking AND healing....but its much more fragile...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

CSBadgerFix does not replace any link tanks. There is one in the package, but that is because link badger is based on it. I could make it do that pretty easy if you want. A downside of doing that is if you make a new linktank it will always get replaced by the badgerfix version. it would need a new class name also.

It does replace the BioTank but that's so the beam weapons from biobadger don't hurt it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It might make sense...there's two LinkTanks (really more as there's a few embedded variants with different health--I've seen one with 500). Although, maybe its better to package up the Link Tank(s) in their own package and let it get replaced with CSVehiclePack mutator?

Maybe two variants:
BigLinkTank (3 seats, all with stacking link, 1200 pts)
LinkTank (2 seats, no laser turret, stacking, 800 pts)

And we also have the Link Badger (1000 pts) kind of fits in between. Link Scorpion which is pretty weak (maybe it should have healing too?)
pooty

Post by pooty »

Revisiting. I think we can enable the heal points for the Link Vehicles as well as clean them up as there's mutiple versions.
A couple of things you can do with Link beams
- Heal Points - YES. Similar to ONSPlus so that when you heal your teammate in an occupied vehicle you score points. (maybe make this a config value )
- "Stacking" - this means if a player or another vehicle links this vehicle the link stacks like it does when players all use the link gun.
- "Multiplier" - only applies to Stacking, this is the multiplier for the number of linkers see below
Linking in series test cases:
1. Link Vehicle -> Player -> Node = Slower
2. Player -> Link Vehicle -> Node = Faster?
Yes ^

Eg.
Formula: Linker + ( Multiplier * NumLinkers)
Link tank linking 1 player : 1 + ( 1*1) = 2
1 Player linking vehicle with 1.5 multiplier ( Today, link tank 2.0, Chupacabra): 1 + (1.5 * 1) = 2.5
Link tank linking 1 player linking another player : 1 + ( 1*2) = 3
2 Player linking vehicle with 1.5 multiplier ( Today, link tank 2.0, Chupacabra): 1 + (1.5 * 2) = 4 (equivalent of a whole extra linker)
So you can see with a higher multiplier it adds up fast with multiple linkers.

- Healing/Draining - this means as you use the link beam on opponents it heals your vehicle, and its usually just a fraction. Call it the heal fraction (usually like 0.5) or something.

So I think we should do:
1. Link Scorpion 3.0, give it boost like the EONS Scorp as alt-fire, primary is link beam, with healing -- similar to the Wraith. Be a good fast, node builder type. It should imo have stacking 1.5. Plus it would only have 300-350 health so its not going to last long against big tanks. This would be IMO a good valuable vehicle esp at the start of matches.

2. Dark Link Tank - Very fast (aka like Dark Rail Tank, Dark Paladin), have dark theme. 1 Driver, primary link plasma, alt-link with stacking. Not sure on Healing, although we could add some healing, maybe even 1.0 healing fraction and call it the Vampire Tank Thinking 500-600 health. (Would have to have the Seasame Street Count laugh for the alt-horn)

For the other more standard link tanks:
Primary Weapon/Driver: As it is today Link Plasma, Link Beam
Second Seat: Link Beam with slight healing?, meaning if you hit the enemy with this beam it heals the HLT.
Third Seat: Laser Turret.

3. Link Tank 3.0 - Similar to the link Tank 2.0 today (3 seats, stacking 1.25 on the primary gun). 750 health (its a tank). (in past this health has varied from 500-1000)

4. Heavy Link Tank 3.0 (I want a better name) - 3 seats, linkers stack 1.5 on all guns. Meaning (see below) that a linker linking this tank would increase the effective output of all the guns including the front mounted laser turret (bad news for Enyo's flyers). Thinking 1200 health. This is a beast and could be on par with Hurriance/Bio and such.

5. Chupacabra/Goat Sucker - stays as is, just makes sure to add the score points for team healing.

Thoughts? Is the healing/draining thing too much? Maybe no stack on those, or maybe just stack on the Dark one, or perhaps just the Heavy?

Link Badger remains unchanged as its in CSBadgerFix now, its tough (1000 pts) and very mobile as a badger.

I guess it does bring up the fact to stack the links on things like Odin and Wraith, but I think those are pretty good as is..they aren't primary link vehicles, its just secondary use. Odin is pretty tough as is, and Wraith is a flyer. But both have pretty good healing - if folks would ever load up and Odin with two heal turrets..yikes.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I think all of these are cool ideas. I like the link tank and wish it was just a little more powerful or fast so it could hang.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

How about a Dark link tank with primary fire being the link beam and secondary fire being a weaker turtle shield? No lasers so it would be vulnerable to air vehicles.
pooty

Post by pooty »

weaker turtle shield
Wonder if you could make a shield that heals as it absorbs damage...so as its being depleted its adding to vehicle health.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:50 pm
weaker turtle shield
Wonder if you could make a shield that heals as it absorbs damage...so as its being depleted its adding to vehicle health.
Call it the Vampire Turtle, lol. Sound like it would be incredibly hard to kill, unless the shield takes a while to recharge after it goes down.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain