Suspense 2K4

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Suspense 2K4

Post by captainsnarf »

The spammer and fire vehicles should be removed or changed. The spammer is too powerful for the top nodes. It can easily take them down without much effort.

The fire vehicles have performance issues. So does this map. Combine them and it can be nearly unplayable.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Suspense 2K4

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah i'd say the ballista and the SPMA kill the tower battles.

I think the fire tank should stay though. Shooting the tower with it makes me feel like the tiger tank in saving private ryan.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:47 am The spammer and fire vehicles should be removed or changed. The spammer is too powerful for the top nodes. It can easily take them down without much effort.

The fire vehicles have performance issues. So does this map. Combine them and it can be nearly unplayable.
Agreed, and they’re conceivably more annoying to their own teams… when you’re trying to fight to regain your own tower and the spammer keeps knocking you around, makes it very difficult. They may get a blind kill or two, but better off to let your better fighters do so unimpeded.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok, so I can remove the SPMA. What to replace it with.

I don't think the fire tank causes as many issues as the fire bug. And I don't think the ballista is that big of deal. I could replace them with other tanks (Goliath II, or maybe Mirage Panzers). Part of the intent was to have some kind of tank that could hit the towers without having to go up there and hand to hand -- not make it easy but enough that you could help your team, or protect 6/7.

As far as the Fire Vehicles, what do you think is the performance issue?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:26 am As far as the Fire Vehicles, what do you think is the performance issue?
It's the flames. Each one is an emitter. When you shoot a bunch they stack up and the game doesn't seem to like that many emitters. I'm not sure what the fix could be. Maybe reduce the timer interval rate (think it was 0.1? make it 0.4 or something). I tried removing the flames completely (so it was just a red 'bio blob' thing) but it still had the performance issue. I really didn't spend too much time on it. It's mostly OK, it's just that map specifically that is slow, so combining them is rough.

Having a tank with a lot of splash damage is really unfair to the players that try to take the towers. The node layout was changed so that it's much harder to lock the tower nodes. Being able to also shell them with splash damage makes them nearly impossible to lock to the point of why even go up there. Just have one player keep your tower side down with a spma/ballista while your team goes the low route to core instead.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok V7:
Changes:
- Added some player starts at the core (too few with full server)
- SPMA replaced with standard Goliath. This allows for some tower shots, but the Goliath isn't exactly accurate. 30s respawn (Artillery had 15s respawn..). This also allows better coverage of the 8/5/9 lake nodes from both sides.
- FireTank replaced with Plasma Tank (not the ion), this means there still a "big" tank a that node, but shouldn't lag like FireTank. This running down the bridge could be pretty powerful.
- Ballista replaced with Mirage Minigun tank.
- FireBadger replaced with regular Badger
Those can spam the towers but only one side, and can also hit the far tower to suppress the other team coming across. It allow for some teamwork/interplay strategy to help keep the towers.
- FireBug replaced with Poltergiest Hover Tank. (This has the shock wave like Basilisk that can go through walls, so this could be interesting). Its relatively slow but deadly on infantry.
Having a tank with a lot of splash damage is really unfair to the players that try to take the towers. The node layout was changed so that it's much harder to lock the tower nodes. Being able to also shell them with splash damage makes them nearly impossible to lock to the point of why even go up there. Just have one player keep your tower side down with a spma/ballista while your team goes the low route to core instead.
So I think now I'd say the tanks have some moderate splash, the plasma splash is bright, but not that big... the other tanks aren't 100% accurate so there's more chance of not getting hit.. plus you can stay safe on your side of each tower from the splash shots...

previously the way it was set up was the only thing that mattered was the tower nodes...was no point to even bother with the rest. Now you can't just take the tower and win, you need the tank support and you need to defend the lower nodes as well. Plus most of the tanks now are pretty easy to kill on foot or with other vehicles. It always seemed to landslide after you lost both tower nodes before..
It's the flames. Each one is an emitter. When you shoot a bunch they stack up and the game doesn't seem to like that many emitters. I'm not sure what the fix could be. Maybe reduce the timer interval rate (think it was 0.1? make it 0.4 or something). I tried removing the flames completely (so it was just a red 'bio blob' thing) but it still had the performance issue. I really didn't spend too much time on it. It's mostly OK, it's just that map specifically that is slow, so combining them is rough.
Yeah its weird, I've seen where locally they lag terribly and other times doesn't seem to matter. I think there's some other type of conflict there...so kind of collision interplay or something. But they are off this map which might be harder on the game than minus. The tower rendering drags down the frame rate even without any vehicles.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Very nice! Thank you for the quick edit. :D
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

It runs better now but it's still very hard to regain towers once lost.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Super Sanka wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:46 pm It runs better now but it's still very hard to regain towers once lost.
Agreed, and it is still pretty dang tough to get it back. Maybe all it needs is a keg, shield & DD combo at the core? That way you can at least get up there with a little more edge.

Taking your enemy's tower should have a big reward though, I think it should be slightly biased toward the invader and not balanced.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Maybe all it needs is a keg, shield & DD combo at the core?
There's a kegowhoopass right there on the bridge level, under 3/4 closer to the cores. Its by the jump pad that leads up to the teleporter lift.

We killed 4 numerous times last night and held them off. We couldn't take 3 often though and hold it. I think it works, as you can stalemate the tower and go for the other nodes to the core. None of the paths are "easy" but it does take coordination to not lose the core nodes while concentrating on the tower.