Pre-cache all the maps and vehicles prior to playing?

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
macintoxicated

Pre-cache all the maps and vehicles prior to playing?

Post by macintoxicated »

Sometimes if it has been a while since I last connected, when I join OMNI it takes forever to download all the vehicle and map files when I try to connect. Is there a way to run a script on my computer that constantly caches the latest files so when I connect it will never make me download anything?
Anonymous.

Re: Pre-cache all the maps and vehicles prior to playing?

Post by Anonymous. »

ut2004.ini
PurgeCacheDays=0
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Not easily.

The downloads should be pretty fast and should only re-download if
- Map Changed
- Vehicles/Textures/etc Changed
- Cache expired (see Anon's note)

You can always get the latest files directly from the Redirect: https://www.omnipotents.com/omni-ut2004-redirect/
However this includes lots of past stuff. The are uz2 compressed. To uncompress go to you UT system folder on windows it'd be something like C:\UT2004\system> ucc decompress somefilename.uz2
That needs the full path of the file and you need to make sure the right files are in right directories (maps - ut2, textures - utx, sound - uax etc)

The largest current file is 32 MB compressed, which shouldn't take more than a dozen seconds to download, unless you're on really bad internet.

IMO its just easier to let UT download them for you. If you do download all them, and they change, maps will re-download into cache, and system files (vehicles) will give you a version mismatch error (Why, oh why UT2004 uses two different schemes I don't know, and makes no sense).
macintoxicated

Post by macintoxicated »

Anonymous. wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:29 pm ut2004.ini
PurgeCacheDays=0
Thanks. Theoretically I still want cache to be purged. mine is set to 30 right now. So if I set it to 90, I should see less redownloading?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Yes, so every 30/90 etc days anything older gets re-downloaded. So set it to 180 or something and you won't redownload anything for 6 months, unless it changes.