Maps to teach specific skills to the masses...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Maps to teach specific skills to the masses...

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

So TorlanLinkerMadness got people to learn how link tanks work. That seemed to trickle into the other maps.

I kind of had the idea of a map that teaches people to actually use anti-air. Like a map where the core spawns like 4-6 Omegas and then anti-air vehicles like trucks, mantis... laser stuff. No other types of vehicles. I know people understand how to use lasers, but this might teach people the practice of keeping an eye on the sky? People will be unable to resist using the Omegas, so anti-air will be absolutely critical to making any progress.

Maybe this idea sucks and will never happen, but maybe it's at least food for thought on future map creation.
Rhamp

Re: Maps to teach specific skills to the masses...

Post by Rhamp »

I have an absolutely terrible idea for this. A map that is inside a long and narrow passage with a single center node and the only way to the other core is by flying. The core has teleporters to forward spawning anti air vehicles and a bunch of fliers by the core. Fliers are a bunch of omegas, wasps, falcons, etc. The node only spawns anti air vehicles and weak fliers. This would involve coordination to attack at once in the hopes that a couple of the fliers can break through the defenses and hit the core while having enough people shooting enemy fliers out of the sky. This would teach a good lesson that leeroy jenkinsing into an area that has known anti air alone is asking to get farmed, and that holding down a position to swat fliers is useful. I could even add a bunch of link fliers to see what would happen if everyone linked up in the air. Since there is only one node, there shouldn't be the issue that happened on Hyperblast with the omega where it was used to just spawnkill repeatedly until it was removed. This layout with a single center node should also make ground vehicles actually worth getting in, since on air dominated maps like Hyperblast, grabbing a flier to get to more nodes is more worthwhile than sitting in a ground vehicle. It'll also be easier to know where to go, since it seems half the players get lost on Hyperblast despite the radar and named nodes existing.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Maps to teach specific skills to the masses...

Post by Enyo »

Interesting ideas, but you’re spinning your wheels. The stains will simply leave and not play these maps, just like they do the “DM maps” when one gets voted. And if they haven’t learned how to get any better over the last 10+ years, it won’t happen now.

I’m more in favor of limiting what vehicles stains with PPHs below 150 or 200 are allowed to get in.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain