Updated Server Rule Excessive Cheating Accusations

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Updated Server Rule Excessive Cheating Accusations

Post by pooty »

Cheating Accusations : If you think someone is cheating, please have evidence/proof before publicly accusing. Excessive accusations in game are not welcome, post away here on the forum all you want. Excessive whining about players better than you "must be cheating" disrupts the game do not do it. If you truly think they are cheating post on the forum with your evidence or just go practice and get better

Many of the skilled players here are good because of practice, good setup, practice, low ping, practice, decades of playing, practice, fast reflexes, good hand-eye coordination and practice. Several of them Anon, California, Snarf, Sanka are more than happy provide advice...

Of all the players caught here with Hax, you'd never know because they were no where near the top players.

The rationale behind this is we all play for fun and excessive whining about "cheaters" disrupts the game and distracts players. Admins shouldn't be expected to answer every time when you get head shotted from running in straight line in the open.

This isn't going to get you in hot water for simple exclamations:
"Anonymous fucking unbelievable", "That damn Sanka, no way" etc.

Its the constant whining and going on and on.

GTKU said it best last night "They are just better than you. And just because they are better, and sometimes way better, doesn't mean they are cheating". Get better, practice, work as team. Even if you completely suck at DM, you can link nodes, link vehicles, and nodes don't move much.

If you truly feel there's a cheater, feel free to post here and rant all you want, but please provide evidence if you expect admins to do anything besides post emojis in response.
captainsnarf

Re: Updated Server Rule Excessive Cheating Accusations

Post by captainsnarf »

Nothing has changed. This rule could really use some enforcement.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

We need a community discussion with the accusers video evidence so we can settle this shit once and for all
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Anon, in particular, seems to be a hummingbird among the sloths of the Unreal world. His reaction times astonish me, so much so that you almost think there HAS to be an aim-hack, but he's just damn good.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I agree. We can discuss it here.

I'll say this:
- No one currently playing has cheats that have been detected except two people who were dealt with. Neither of them were any of the elite aimers. One claimed to be testing our cheat detection and the other pleaded that thier kid installed them and we verified it was removed. In both cases neither of those players would be ones that have been accused.

So none of the usual cheating "targets" has ever been caught with anything.

- We use a variety of methods: AntiTcc which checks various items including known cheats, cheat UT classes and checksums on .exe and .dll files, server side screenshots, in game spec. Is it 100%? Nothing is, but its IMO pretty decent.

- Who really would want to cheat? You get ZERO street cred for being the King/Queen of UT2004 ONS.

All that being said consider:
- 20 year old game engine, there's going to be rare instances of weird shit, eg. unregs, network glitches (eg. delay between what you see and server sees).

- Variations in human reflexes, coordination, experience, compute setup, network setup (eg. ping)
That can really vary the experience -- for those in the US go play few rounds on CEONSS -- they have just as good, likely better server hardware, but with ping across the pond its a different experience, even with UTComp.

- I've still seen several things here that fall into the "holy shit how did they do that?!" And sure everyone gets a lucky shot or just at the right spot, even JKT, but if it happens frequently -- then others may question it. For example, why didn't he die, consider the Shield Gun Macro which lets you fire, shield gun while holding the mouse, and immediately switch back -- might seem like a hack but its clever game setup (and its well documented).

- And yes, I've seen things, seen reaction times that made me question.

But yes lets discuss because this fracturing and such isn't good for the server or our community.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Let me also add, and this goes for Admins as well (we all get frustrated).

Excessive cheating accusatioins in game will result in admins having to step in and mute, llama or kick if its too excessive.

We aren't gonna go overboard, so a few utterances of frustration are fine, but long rants, constant complaining isn't welcome in game. Feel free to come here and complain all you want. And if you want to make an accusation bring your evidence, and "they are just so good" isn't evidence.

I'll share a story from back in the LAN Party days (sorry some of you have undoubtedly heard this before).
We were playing Quake or Half-LIfe (can't remember which, and sorry UT) and one of my friends was mopping the floor with us, ala Anon style. Several of us were sure as shit that he was using some hack on his rig. Since we were all in the same big ass room -- he offered, I'll play on your machine, aside from changing a few key setups, nothing changed as one of us watch over his shoulder.
Anyone wanna guess the outcome?
Yep, he mopped the floor with us again -- he was just that good.

This even applies IRL.
I play beer league old guy hockey... there's high level high school players that do shit I'll never be able to do .. not a hack.
I am a fair competent pistol shooter (I do some Law Enforcement work), but some of the SWAT or Military SpecOps would beat me easily. And to an average person I'd look "expert" so its all relative.
Go watch any Pro sport baseball, hockey, football, axe throwing, hell even cornhole... and see the difference.

TL:DR: Don't be a whiny bitch, shut up and play, and work on getting better if you suck. :D
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:59 pm ...
competent pistol shooter (I do some Law Enforcement work), but some of the SWAT or Military SpecOps would beat me easily.
Reminds me of the time our office played paintball. About 30 of us from the office and 2 guys that ran the course. After playing several games all day, we played all of us office people against the 2 professional guys. Guess who won? Those guys took out every last one of us in a short amount of time and neither of them even had a scratch on them.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Exactly.
When I was practicing often, I could get where I could hit small targets (1" Circle, 2" Square, etc..) on the silhouette targets, pretty consistently, but it takes lots of practice (and ammo!).

Even doing some reload drills, 3 mags changes from holster, 2 rounds each all on target in less than 10s. At first it seems impossible....then you watch the instructor do it in 5-6s. Some practice and holy shit you can do things you didn't think you could.