Stationary Turrets...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Stationary Turrets...

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Hey while we're on this topic... how do we feel about modding the stationary turrets? Right now they're only good for getting kicked from the server. Would it be good to grant them some ability? Maybe just a tiny buff or weapon swap? I pretty much never get in one unless it's some kind of ultimate last ditch thing and I'm without a shock rifle. Or do we have enough with Centuar/Hellbenders and tank 2nd seats?
pooty

Re: Stationary Turrets...

Post by pooty »

So I move this to its own thread.
So we have several types of turrets:
Usual Laser, common turret
There's the Twin Beam turret on Deserted Sands/TwinFang...its a 300? or more maybe twin beam with 1000 hp. So its pretty good.
Minigun turret (like on MB)
Link Turret (Dria, Mass D)
Cannon Turret (Minus)
Ion Cannon (Mass D)

These are basically stationary vehicles. On most older/original maps the turrets were fairly useful, although often not placed strategically. On most of our maps we have plenty of vehicles, and the Centaur is basically a mobile turret. I generally have placed vehicles to counter .. meaning if a map needs some anti-air to balance, throw on a bender/centaur, or the mother of all anti air the Troop Carrier vs a static turret.

That being said I think it'd be cool to have a few maps were the turret is somewhat strategic/useful (like MassD) vs decoration or last ditch effort. Maybe double strength turret here and there to discourage base spawn killing (eg. roof of minus)
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

pooty wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:42 am So I move this to its own thread.
So we have several types of turrets:
Usual Laser, common turret
There's the Twin Beam turret on Deserted Sands/TwinFang...its a 300? or more maybe twin beam with 1000 hp. So its pretty good.
Minigun turret (like on MB)
Link Turret (Dria, Mass D)
Cannon Turret (Minus)
Ion Cannon (Mass D)

These are basically stationary vehicles. On most older/original maps the turrets were fairly useful, although often not placed strategically. On most of our maps we have plenty of vehicles, and the Centaur is basically a mobile turret. I generally have placed vehicles to counter .. meaning if a map needs some anti-air to balance, throw on a bender/centaur, or the mother of all anti air the Troop Carrier vs a static turret.

That being said I think it'd be cool to have a few maps were the turret is somewhat strategic/useful (like MassD) vs decoration or last ditch effort. Maybe double strength turret here and there to discourage base spawn killing (eg. roof of minus)
I really like the Twin beam turret, its really powerful and provides a good defense.

The Ion Cannon is fun! Most people don't know that its a neutral turret, like the minigun turret, meaning both teams can enter the turret.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Yes and if someone steals your ion turret on MassD, drive a bio tank just out your front door, switch to 1st person perspective, an lob alt fire blobs over the lip where the mantas spawn. It'll be down in a few seconds.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

And maybe stationary turrets don't really have much of a place in this game anymore considering you can find their weapons in most vehicles. Just opening a discussion on how people feel. I'm cool with them how they are, but if someone has a cool idea on how to make them more interesting i'd be down with that.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I was thinking maybe a redeemer turret would be useful. Everyone sits stationary in deemer tank anyway.

They were more useful back in the day everyone rode manta like a clown car, back when vehicles were sparse. With all of the plentiful vehicles these days you are kind of hurting your team sitting in a stationary when there is a mobile available.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:52 pm I was thinking maybe a redeemer turret would be useful. Everyone sits stationary in deemer tank anyway.

They were more useful back in the day everyone rode manta like a clown car, back when vehicles were sparse. With all of the plentiful vehicles these days you are kind of hurting your team sitting in a stationary when there is a mobile available.
Not a bad idea... treat them like missile silos or something. That'd be a completely different purpose though
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:34 pm And maybe stationary turrets don't really have much of a place in this game anymore considering you can find their weapons in most vehicles. Just opening a discussion on how people feel. I'm cool with them how they are, but if someone has a cool idea on how to make them more interesting i'd be down with that.
I feel the twin beam turret on Deserted Sands is very useful. It use to be on Lagzilla's Magic Isle at the corner nodes.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

It's not so much that turrets are useless, I even get in them on occasion. The laser turrets on Dria at 9/6 or 8/3 are useful at keeping flyers off them. What will get you kicked is sitting in a turret at the core on MTMU while your team has half the map locked... that's useless.

Or, sitting in a turret and not going to nodes the entire round will likely also warrant a kick. Ecmerd on Gunshop comes to mind. You should be helping your team attack nodes, it's called "ONSLAUGHT", not "sit back and wait to see what happens while I sit lazily in a turret." Look up the antonyms for "onslaught," they're "retreat" and "defend."
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think the other thing is most maps treated turrets as last ditch or even just decoration... How many times have you gotten in one only to have the best sightline blocked by something?

I'll try to place them more strategically. For example on Twin Fang, the 1000hp twin beam can cover both primaries... If someone is in that turret they can keep all the flyers off those nodes. To take a primary, you'd want to kill that.