Airpower Vehicles (Predator, Reaper, Karma Drop Ship)

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Airpower Vehicles (Predator, Reaper, Karma Drop Ship)

Post by pooty »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 pm Maybe this isn't a bug but could we make the Dropship not handle like it's made of styrofoam? I feel like that thing should handle like the Heliux.
I agree, it bounces all over the place when shot. To me it should be a big/tough/slow manuvering target,like Helix.
There was also the bug, I heard again that the vehicle picked up driver, gets respawned at core instead of at the vehicle. Not sure how to duplicate that.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:06 am
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 pm Maybe this isn't a bug but could we make the Dropship not handle like it's made of styrofoam? I feel like that thing should handle like the Heliux.
I agree, it bounces all over the place when shot. To me it should be a big/tough/slow manuvering target,like Helix.
There was also the bug, I heard again that the vehicle picked up driver, gets respawned at core instead of at the vehicle. Not sure how to duplicate that.
I can make it feel heavy if you guys want. I thought that might make it too hard to pick stuff up so I didn't do it, but we can try and see. Please wait on downloading 1.5 version and I'll update it tonight.

What's this bug?
I heard again that the vehicle picked up driver, gets respawned at core instead of at the vehicle
Sorry your sentence doesn't quite make sense to me.

1. Pilot picked up a vehicle with driver in it.
2. Driver becomes passenger when that happens
3. Driver exits (or is ejected by pilot), and now driver is suddenly exited at vehicle spawn point (base)?

Is that right?

I've picked up other players before and carried them around and dropped them and didn't see the problem, but maybe they weren't driving?

The hard part when testing this stuff is getting the bots to cooperate :D I've always ejected the bots myself since they won't on their own.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 am
What's this bug?

Sorry your sentence doesn't quite make sense to me.

1. Pilot picked up a vehicle with driver in it.
2. Driver becomes passenger when that happens
3. Driver exits (or is ejected by pilot), and now driver is suddenly exited at vehicle spawn point (base)?

Is that right?

I've picked up other players before and carried them around and dropped them and didn't see the problem, but maybe they weren't driving?

The hard part when testing this stuff is getting the bots to cooperate :D I've always ejected the bots myself since they won't on their own.
That is correct... happened to me on DryIce. I got in the mino at the core, Svauser picked me up in the Dropship (after several failed attempts, another bug mentioned below), and when he dropped me I was instantly back in the core, on foot and the mino was still sitting there empty in the core as if he never picked it up.

It's very buggy when trying to pick up the mino (not sure about other vehicles). You click to pick up and the mino disappears then reappears on the ground. Saw that bug myself too when trying to pick it up with the DS. Took about a dozen tries before it finally "stuck" and I could actually see it below the DS.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:46 pm It's very buggy when trying to pick up the mino (not sure about other vehicles). You click to pick up and the mino disappears then reappears on the ground. Saw that bug myself too when trying to pick it up with the DS. Took about a dozen tries before it finally "stuck" and I could actually see it below the DS.
Hmm, that might be part of the problem.

You do not need to click to pick anything up. Just get close enough and it automatically grabs them.

Trying to click might screw things up as clicking only drops them.

From what you described, I think I know what the problem is. If you take a vehicle from core and then leave it somewhere, eventually it disappears and spawns back at the core. I think the game is doing that for the attached vehicle. I think I just need to set a flag to fix it.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:54 pm
You do not need to click to pick anything up. Just get close enough and it automatically grabs them.

Trying to click might screw things up as clicking only drops them.
Well, it doesn't seem to work as intended then, at least not from my experience. Just getting on top of and close to the mino doesn't seem to do anything at all until you right click. Then again, maybe it was picking it up without clicking and it's just hard to tell. I'll have to try again without clicking next time I guess.

Seems like you should have to click a mouse button or a press key before it should pick anything up though, otherwise you could pick something up by mistake. Is it not possible to just make it the right click?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

You have to hover the "tail" over/on the vehicle and it snaps into place. Its a bit tricky. I think fixing the movement on it would go a long ways to making it easier to maneuver to grab, it needs to not bounce around as much.

To release I think alt-fire drops the vehicle. Drivers have to manually eject I believe. It is fun to take the mino up high (like above 4/6 on dry ice) and then camp with it from there.

In single player mode it was allowed that you could "grab" enemy vehicles, which was I think why it didn't require a click...I think we (rightly) nixed that, it can grab unlocked enemy vehicles, but not locked/occupied. I'll admit it would be kind of fun to swoop in and pick up an enemy occupied mino--but it would let the sabateur type (aka roger) get out of control.

On an unrelated note, I still think the Predator and Reaper are still a tad too powerful. I took out a mino with the Predator main fire in just about 4 seconds...now you might say so what a Mino does it one shot. Mino is easy to hit. Predator and Reaper in the hands of some players is difficult. I had a hell of a type hitting leon for example, while I could pick them off with other drivers (svauser, others). I was using twin beams/mantis. Even with shock rifle its pretty hard to hit them. I don't think we should change them anymore yet, lets learn how to deal with them... usually two players working together can bring them down. And historically there was much complaining about invincible OP mino (till someone learned DD goo on the hood = dead mino). I do wonder if maybe the Predator/Reaper should take some extra damage from some weapons?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm On an unrelated note, I still think the Predator and Reaper are still a tad too powerful. I took out a mino with the Predator main fire in just about 4 seconds...now you might say so what a Mino does it one shot. Mino is easy to hit. Predator and Reaper in the hands of some players is difficult. I had a hell of a type hitting leon for example, while I could pick them off with other drivers (svauser, others). I was using twin beams/mantis. Even with shock rifle its pretty hard to hit them. I don't think we should change them anymore yet, lets learn how to deal with them... usually two players working together can bring them down. And historically there was much complaining about invincible OP mino (till someone learned DD goo on the hood = dead mino). I do wonder if maybe the Predator/Reaper should take some extra damage from some weapons?
If we change anything it should probably only be health and damage at this point. It's a way to do a general nerf/buff without changing behavior. Something small like changing Predator cannon damage from 35 -> 33 can make a big difference - now it takes 4 hits instead of 3 to kill a player. That extra hit can make all the difference.

I also think Reaper missile is OP due to the smoke screen. IMO We should ditch the smoke screen or keep it and make the missile weapon have a long fire interval.

Which vehicle is the 'best'? 'strongest'? It's subjective for sure and a lot of factors go into it, but one thing you can pretty readily do is figure out damage per second of each weapon.

Goliath cannon = 120 dps
Minotaur laser turret = 111 dps
Predator weapon = 184 dps
Minotaur cannon = 333 dps
Predator passenger turret = 350 dps

I mentioned people should try the predator passenger turret but nobody believes me :D
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok guys, new version available! Download here CSAPverIV_1.5.zip

Changes in 1.5
- Fix Dropship dead engines littering the map
- Change Dropship handling to not feel like styrofoam
- Change Dropship handling when vehicle is attached (weight increase)
- Fix bug where passengers exit across the map

I used the same 1.5 version number since the other one wasn't used (also the last package still had 1.4 version numbers in it anyway)

I was not aware of that passenger exit bug :? It worked on the server ok, but I didn't really test it on the client like I did the vehicle attach/detach
pooty

Post by pooty »

f we change anything it should probably only be health and damage at this point. It's a way to do a general nerf/buff without changing behavior. Something small like changing Predator cannon damage from 35 -> 33 can make a big difference - now it takes 4 hits instead of 3 to kill a player. That extra hit can make all the difference.

I also think Reaper missile is OP due to the smoke screen. IMO We should ditch the smoke screen or keep it and make the missile weapon have a long fire interval.
Agreed. I think the only thing is reaper missle, I think the smoke screen is cool, but I think the fire interval needs to be longer. Like Smoke Screen duration + 2seconds or something. It'd be fun to use it like a flash bang and let your teammates kill it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think we need to edit the DropShip. Right now people mostly use it (its on a few maps) as a giant spammer with the homing rockets...

- Improve the manuverability...takes too much/time effort to pick something up..
- Increase the health to maybe 1000hp.
- Maybe nerf rockets, or make them less homing -- I don't want it to be helpless but it should have more use as transport than giant spammer.

Right now you spend a ton of time grabbing a bio/mino etc, then fly and get blown up in less time than it took to get a vehicle.