EvenMatchOmni

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: EvenMatchOmni

Post by pooty »

Haha.That's some pretty code
switch (int(PPH == -1) + 2 * int(PastPPH == -1) + 4 * int(PastPPHMap == -1))

Let's break it down,
PPH is current PPH, which is your "current score" set after so many points/times

So lets say you're having a good day 400 pph.
Normally, if your 300 pph eg. pastPPH
So no map specific it rates you 350 pph

Lets say on a map you're a mino whore and typically get 450pph.
0.4 * (400 + 450+ 0.5 * 300)
0.4 * (850 + 150)
0.4 * 1000 = 400

Or say you're having a bad day at 250, but you're excited that you've got the mino headed to the dognuts spot on minus where you can kill JKT repeatedly for big points 450 PPH
0.4 * (250 + 450 + 0.5 * 300) = 340 PPH which looks reasonable.

Or say you're having a good day at 350, but you're excited that you've got the mino headed to the dognuts spot on minus where you can kill JKT repeatedly for big points 450 PPH
0.4 * (350 + 450 + 0.5 * 300) = 380 PPH which looks reasonable, but not much different than above.

Or say its a bad map for you, you only get 200 pph, because dammit I just don't want to play MassD EVERY FREAKING NIGHT, and it hasn't started
0.8 * (PastPPHMap + 0.25 * PastPPH) = 0.8 * ( 200 + 0.25 * 300) = 220. I think this isn't right. A bad map score really drags you down, maybe its my numbers and I think this is where we said lets just use overall PPH.

Good players should be good on most maps - Enyo I think said it
.... and I think its the camper stains that skew on maps (eg. ion spamming on TAL) and give them too many points.

For the most part players will regress toward the mean. Meaning, a great map/match will usually be followed by one more toward mean/average, conversely a really bad match likely means play will get better the next time.

So overall, I think either way though will work.

I also think yesterday the matches were pretty balanced, Enyo's MB rant aside most were competitive, unless they did something stupid... I know there were a few (eg. Valarna, Randomizer where my team WASTED the power vehicles... and that hurts badly on randomizers).
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:28 am Haha.That's some pretty code
switch (int(PPH == -1) + 2 * int(PastPPH == -1) + 4 * int(PastPPHMap == -1))
Holy shit balls. I thought I've seen some ripe code in my day, but this is a whole new level.

Hats off to you guys for having to dredge through that crap.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:28 am I also think yesterday the matches were pretty balanced, Enyo's MB rant aside most were competitive, unless they did something stupid... I know there were a few (eg. Valarna, Randomizer where my team WASTED the power vehicles... and that hurts badly on randomizers).
Yeah, even if the numbers were shit, everybody had shit numbers so it evened out. Good players still had bigger numbers.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'll say it again, the balancer can't, nor will it ever account for:
- Bad teamwork
- Lack of which nodes to go from a strategy perspective.
- Selfish play (fuck arounds/campers/wandering tank drivers)
and lastly, especially on maps with power vehicles
- Power vehicle wasters. Those that take those vehicles and waste them. Now sure you're not always going to have a good run, but if you're charging into the Dria lake with mino directly toward the enemy side channeling your inner Beetchucker hollering Leeeeroy Jenkins... you're screwing your team. <-- this is IMO the biggest "unbalancer".

I'd encourage all to take the vehicles and try during off hours or less competitive matches (feel free to use the Mega on BadgerMeUp and play McLovin). If you're taking the rail tank from Sanka/Nautikal, or the Predator/Bolt from Leon, think about is that best? Often I'll give link flyer/falcon to Enyo and take something else. Now I am not advocating just having those power vehicles sit waiting, but especially on randomizer, using the power vehicles right is key to victory, no matter how much fun it is to sit in your Kraken at 6/8 spamming for 20 minutes. You can also spec and watch and learn, leon does some really cool sneaky shit.

Admin's note: We aren't going to kick you, and don't mind Enyo yelling, unless you're repeatedly being really stupid and "being a dick" (See server rules) -- usually determined by are other players getting upset with your behavior (besides Azazel who likes to kick vote everyone).
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Also some players just have better chemistry with others. If you have a few people that play the same style it can get in the way..although whenever me and Naut are on the same team we rarely camp and always attack for some reason.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:28 am ...
Fuck arounds and campers, LOL I know exactly who pooty is referring to.

Wandering tank drivers = Man O Steel, does he play anymore? I love when he is on the enemy team in the mino and on the wrong side of the map waiting for that locked node to come up. LOL
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:35 pm
Fuck arounds and campers, LOL I know exactly who pooty is referring to.

Wandering tank drivers = Man O Steel, does he play anymore? I love when he is on the enemy team in the mino and on the wrong side of the map waiting for that locked node to come up. LOL
He's still on sometimes. He's SGT_Airborne now.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I'd encourage all to take the vehicles and try during off hours or less competitive matches (feel free to use the Mega on BadgerMeUp and play McLovin).
If they don't quit/spectate in the middle of a 2x2 round we have some very competitive matches playing BadgerMeUp. Half of it depends on how aggressive the bots you get are. I usually start a round off sand-bagging, but as players come onboard mid-game it gets tense fairly quickly.

BadgerMeUp always starts at 1800 MDT every day. Don't be a Leon, come out and play with us. LOL
pooty

Post by pooty »

3.3 on the server.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:28 am - Power vehicle wasters. Those that take those vehicles and waste them. Now sure you're not always going to have a good run, but if you're charging into the Dria lake with mino directly toward the enemy side channeling your inner Beetchucker hollering Leeeeroy Jenkins... you're screwing your team. <-- this is IMO the biggest "unbalancer".
Very true, at least on randomizer maps and any map with upgraded/OP vehicles. The imbalance created by the shit bags taking the power vehicles is exaggerated by the OP vehicles more so than on maps with all stock vehicles. The shit bags can still jack your team on a stock map too though... all it takes is for some dope to take off with the only manta at core with no riders.

And over time the disparity of skill level between the more competitive players and those that tool around every map only becomes greater.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain