Mechs

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Mechs

Post by captainsnarf »

Do we want mechs? I threw this together today. There is not much to borrow from with this so it will probably take a while to make work nicely.

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Mechs

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Ummmm yes.

Hell, if you can get some proper Mechwarrior bots going that'd be killer. Summoner, Nova, Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf... Getting some 90's gaming nostalgia going here now.
Sumugan

Post by Sumugan »

How awesome, I don't know the reference, but Snarf got some Mechs!
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Can you make its weight/collisions kill anything it touches? (Except nodes) but that thing should be able to stomp out most vehicles. Looks super cool.

The references are to Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat.... which i believe is the origin of the PPC weapon, it's a weapon on the mechs .
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm some progress
You got to me fucking kidding me?????? For the first time in my 17 years of playing UT, I have no idea how I'm going to fight that with my Leviathan / Tiamat / Kraken / Pallas / Shocker. I've not a fucking clue. I have no idea what to do when I see that giant thing walking towards me. Hopefully I'm already deployed. On the video I saw 4160 health, so I assume it spawned with 4500-5000hp which is pretty easily for a deployed MAS to take it out. Problem is speed. Will it be able to out walk / run the Singularity cannon? Hell, I agree with Yeahhhhhh, make it to where it can step on vehicles and do damage by crushing. Like stepping on a deployed MAS!!!! Also would be cool is to make that Mech have a weakness by shooting it in the rear in the back.

This reminds of me robotech videogame I played when i was young and pacific rim movies.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Can you also make some of the alien creatures big like Komek, Mokara, Motig and Nebri and then we can have an alien invasion map. I was thinking since Panalish is a big map, one side has alien creatures and the other side has the robots mechs and then they fight in the middle.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Terminator wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am
Can you also make some of the alien creatures big like Komek, Mokara, Motig and Nebri and then we can have an alien invasion map. I was thinking since Panalish is a big map, one side has alien creatures and the other side has the robots mechs and then they fight in the middle.
It should be possible. All the character meshes have the same bone names, animations and stuff. I had to modify the mesh like I did for the badgers so it would work correctly at that size.

This is turning into quite a lot of work lol. There is no good vehicle to base this on.

These are what you get:
ONSChopperCraft -> base of all flyers
ONSHoverCraft -> base of all manta types
ONSPlaneCraft -> afaik not used by ONS games (AS games maybe?)
ONSTreadCraft -> base of all tanks
ONSWheeledCraft -> base of all cars/trucks

There is ONSVehicle, but the others have native C++ replication for the physics stuff. If I used ONSVehicle I'd have to do it in unrealscript. So I based it on 'ONSHoverCraft'. It's basically a giant manta, but I have to fake things like gravity. So much custom animation code omg. It would be nice if I could ask the Epic guys what all this animation shit does!

There are 4 'bot' meshes. I was going to make 4 mechs, each with a different giant gun.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

more progress

got a basic weapon mounted with aim rotation working
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:35 am more progress

got a basic weapon mounted with aim rotation working
Looks sweet!

If you want some sound effects let me know. I could make you some bigger footstep and weapon sounds.

How does the hitbox on this work? Hit the torso and feet?