Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Xexx

Re: Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

Post by Xexx »

infinitecat wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:59 pm
Xexx wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:03 pm Don't care for the faster core drain, really hate the mulligan. I am not going to be playing the same map again because the win was too fast and needs to disappear. I will spectate. Just make it start a new map, should be easy enough.

The game is 18 years old, there's no use in trying to change everything that got it this far.
In 2004 this game had eight vehicles. Eight. Have you seen the full load-out lately?

The original game mechanism has been severely compromised by development of novel weaponry, especially one-shot node-killers.

(I'm an old table-top Battletech player. I saw the game harmed/ruined the same way when FASA developed new weapon systems but didn't improve rules for the physical environment.)
I mean I agree with all of this, generally. I have consistently said maps and gameplay from the past were better and we should turn back the clock. The game engine just can't support all the changes, and more bugs and bad performance seem to be cropping up. More and more vehicles seem to be bugged or don't work well on many maps. Turrets are rarely if ever matched to their actual position, lasers don't appear, a lot of the time you are instant killed by something you don't see or animations aren't accurately reflecting what's happening with your enemy. I still greatly miss the assault raceway trial maps and VCTF without all the one hit kill stuff. That at least played very well. Now everything is overpowered and lags the engine to hell.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Thoughts on Faster Core Drain?

Post by pooty »

Yes. Certain vehicles really put the strain on the engine. Two types, ones that are fast, especially very fast, but the worst are ones with lots of "projectiles" each one needs to be tracked. Variety of vehicles doesn't matter one bit, they are just all actors to the engine. The faster the projectile/vehicle the hard it is to render accurately for both server and client...

That being said there's an effort underway to
1. Reduce bugs in the current vehicles. (eg. Badger fix -- the falling through the map and avrils not working on them was a coding bug not an engine issue).
2. Reduce the "OP" style of several maps (I guess I am guilty here), having a few like MassDestruction and Randomizers are good for variety, change of pace (and testing), and I generally don't have too many issues on MassD -- which is pretty hard on the engine since its basically a wide open area -- everything has to "be aware" of everything else...so lots of interactions to track. The LoadOut maps was NEVER and will NEVER be considered "playable" its like vehicle spambox.
3. Reduce the OP vehicles. I am not in favor of one shotters (except maybe the usual tanks (Mino, Ion) used sparingly), or super poweful vehicles..we've been working on tweaking the Predator / Reaper they have some fun aspect to them, but the weaponry was too powerful and too spammy.

And we aren't going to stop development, we will slowly fix things. If you yearn for the old days, we have on the server Stock Torlan, Primeval, Frostbite, and nearly stock versions of ArcticStronghold. There's bunch of foot/DM style maps: Masterbath, Bitchslap, Dreamus, Steelmill, Tricky, DeathDome, CaptainGordons, Spiffingrad etc. Good luck trying to play them... they get voted infrequently except maybe MB. And stock maps almost never except as a novelty...and stock maps clear the server pretty quickly.

Even older )o( maps don't get voted much except for the ones below. There's whole bunch "from the past" that no one votes for or wants to play.

In fact most new maps whether OP like Kitchensink Randomizer (probably in top three for engine strain) don't get voted either in favor of DJY, Dria, Old AJY, Nevermore, MinusKamek, AlienHop. Heck most here really seem to only want to play the same 6-8 maps...doesn't that get dull after a while? And shit, half the players still can't figure out what node matters the most on even those....or realize they whole key to DJY is the frakkin missle tank.

I've been focusing on tweaking existing maps, fixing vehicles along with Snarf, so I haven't introduced a new map in a while, and it might be a while before I do..even editing an existing map takes quite a bit of time and several "versions" with real players to get it right.

We appreciate the feedback and we are working on it, if anyone wants to help with coding or even testing let me know. I've said it before if there's a map you want let me know, if there's an edit you want me to do let me know.