Several New Players...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Several New Players...

Post by pooty »

So we've had a several new players lately... which is a good thing, (and even a few returning )o( players from back in the day.)
With the nOObs lets be a bit patient with them especially if they say they are new. I know there's the heat of battle, but lets not be too quick to kick vote the nOObs. We were all nOObs once, and some still are :lol:
Terminator

Re: Several New Players...

Post by Terminator »

pooty wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:09 pm So we've had a several new players lately... which is a good thing, (and even a few returning )o( players from back in the day.)
With the nOObs lets be a bit patient with them especially if they say they are new. I know there's the heat of battle, but lets not be too quick to kick vote the nOObs. We were all nOObs once, and some still are :lol:
Be sure to let a certain Admin know. The tyrant has been kicking newer players who aren't exactly great.
ScoRp!oN

Post by ScoRp!oN »

Hi all. Just dropping in to the apparently NEW forums to say Hi. I honestly don't know any of you. I mainly quit UT2004 on a regular basis back in late 2007 (holy geezus that was a while ago), but stayed in touch IRL with some of the people I played with back then.

A co-worker and I were reminiscing about the old days of Quake and UT, so I fired everything back up, and lo and behold, the )o( servers are still up.

Lots of new faces. This isn't a return to gaming in UT2k4 like I used to, but I'll pop in from time to time on the servers, and maybe the forums.

I will say, the old )o( had a community following for being a friendly clan in the community, and not letting anyone be a badmin, though Q held that admin privilege pretty tight to begin with. This game ain't new! Don't be a dick. I've jumped into too many old games lately and have been driven away by fledgling, but prickish, small communities. If you wan't to kill the already small player base on an old game, go right ahead and be an ass to everyone. :)

Anyhow, hello everyone!
Last edited by ScoRp!oN on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
trans_lux

Post by trans_lux »

Terminator wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:52 am
pooty wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:09 pm So we've had a several new players lately... which is a good thing, (and even a few returning )o( players from back in the day.)
Be sure to let a certain Admin know. The tyrant has been kicking newer players who aren't exactly great.
With his knowledge of the game & strategy combined with such a high level of skill, a more understanding and chilled approach would be way more productive and a lot more pleasant for everyone.
Further, I've worked my ass off for 30+ years so I no longer have to answer to anyone, well except my wife.
To get MF'd on an ancient video game by a complete stranger is just not going to fly with me.
I suspect this is the case for most of us here.

Less Les Grossman... ;)
https://youtu.be/dROwEc4VyJA
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I know when I started playing again it wasn't much fun getting threatened with kicks. Please be kind.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:33 am I know when I started playing again it wasn't much fun getting threatened with kicks. Please be kind.
I agree. Not many people left. Let's be kind to the newer players. We don't want to discourage them from showing up again. No players on the server, no game.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Terminator wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 pm ...
I agree. Not many people left. Let's be kind to the newer players. We don't want to discourage them from showing up again. No players on the server, no game.
I agree Termi, no players no game. I was the last man standing on a Quake II server in the late 90s and it's sad when you're the only one left.

I'm not so much for kicking for low performance. They have to be either down right goofing off and a major handicap to their team before I do a kick. If they are moving and getting into vehicles and shooting, that's the baseline for me. If they are walking to nodes, that's below par. I try to communicate with them first, asking if they are new, etc. If they can't even do comms, well that's a hard one.

I'm a firm believer in STRICT FATHER RULE when it comes to Unreal Tournament. That's how I learn the best and the quickest. I've done many stupid things and it wasn't until somebody calls me out on it, did I figure it out. There's a subtle difference between constructive discipline and abuse. It's hard to keep it on the positive side when passions are running high tho. I can't hardly play Mega-Arena anymore cause I get too crazy over my teammates doing stuff I think is stupid, LOL It's just a game people say. Yes it is "just a game", but it's fun to get totally into it. I can be a copy machine operator in real life, but on Omni I can be Master Blaster of Bartertown. https://youtu.be/kJ-UZ4DvYBg
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

McLovin wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 pm
Terminator wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 pm ...
I agree Termi, no players no game. I was the last man standing on a Quake II server in the late 90s and it's sad when you're the only one left.

I'm not so much for kicking for low performance. They have to be either down right goofing off and a major handicap to their team before I do a kick. If they are moving and getting into vehicles and shooting, that's the baseline for me. If they are walking to nodes, that's below par. I try to communicate with them first, asking if they are new, etc. If they can't even do comms, well that's a hard one.

I'm a firm believer in STRICT FATHER RULE when it comes to Unreal Tournament. That's how I learn the best and the quickest. I've done many stupid things and it wasn't until somebody calls me out on it, did I figure it out. There's a subtle difference between constructive discipline and abuse. It's hard to keep it on the positive side when passions are running high tho. I can't hardly play Mega-Arena anymore cause I get too crazy over my teammates doing stuff I think is stupid, LOL It's just a game people say. Yes it is "just a game", but it's fun to get totally into it. I can be a copy machine operator in real life, but on Omni I can be Master Blaster of Bartertown. https://youtu.be/kJ-UZ4DvYBg
Yes I'm also very sorry. I have done stupid things to and I'm very sorry.

I use to be play Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast 2 & Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and they were a lot of fun single player mode and even more fun on multiplayer. I use to be play on AG clan server which was one of the last few servers and things just got out of hand and it eventually shutdown and then everyone moved onto other games. I still like to play single player mode!

But we just have to be nice to newer players. I mean the game was, last I checked, 7.99 on steam so its really cheap. If someone is running on a onslaught map, then obviously they are new and don't understand what to do and thats fine, but we don't need to be mean or strict with them. They'll figure it out. I've been playing this game since the demo came out and it was new to all of us. We all forget how we use to be when we first played the game. Yeah, maybe someone railed us on voice chat back then and told us to practice offline, but that was 17 years ago and that doesn't work today. There are to many games to play now-days and UT2004 is an old game, there won't be many newer players coming our way. Someone new may join and be wrongfully kicked because they don't exactly know what to do may never show up again because they feel they weren't given an opportunity to learn and play... That may have been their very first time playing. Even if its during high traffic time, we have to give people a chance and let them learn.
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

I think it's time you start clamping down on some players, actually. I was spectating the 5v5 today and was watching Jubei. How many months has he been here and shown absolutely no situational awareness at all? He was literally wandering the map totally at random, often in a slow ground vehicle shooting his own nodes, or shooting locked enemy nodes. The whole round. He did not respond to any nodes under attack, nor did he try to acquire any forward open nodes. He repeatedly passed up fast vehicles for ground ones or even walked the entire way. He didn't teleport once or spawn at relevant places. The only time he got into any conflict was purely by chance, a couple times he followed an enemy if he could catch them, The last round he didn't move at all and pooty had to kick him.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, he's one that's on the border of getting a longer timeout, for exactly the reasons mentioned. I don't mind the noobs who try, or even are learning, but the ones that refuse to learn, especially when you can play on the server during off hours to learn vehicles/maps etc, that never get much better. Several of these players are 100+ ping, so there might be some language barriers.