Several New Players...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Terminator
Server Sponsor: Yes

Re: Several New Players...

Post by Terminator »

Xexx wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28 am I think it's time you start clamping down on some players, actually. I was spectating the 5v5 today and was watching Jubei. How many months has he been here and shown absolutely no situational awareness at all? He was literally wandering the map totally at random, often in a slow ground vehicle shooting his own nodes, or shooting locked enemy nodes. The whole round. He did not respond to any nodes under attack, nor did he try to acquire any forward open nodes. He repeatedly passed up fast vehicles for ground ones or even walked the entire way. He didn't teleport once or spawn at relevant places. The only time he got into any conflict was purely by chance, a couple times he followed an enemy if he could catch them, The last round he didn't move at all and pooty had to kick him.
I agree. But this is totally different than what I said below. Jubei has been on for a few months. Peaches & RatFace were new.
Enyo
Server Admin: Yes

Post by Enyo »

Terminator wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm Someone new may join and be wrongfully kicked because they don't exactly know what to do may never show up again because they feel they weren't given an opportunity to learn and play... That may have been their very first time playing. Even if its during high traffic time, we have to give people a chance and let them learn.
Sorry, but I disagree here. And this applies to any TEAM based game, UT or otherwise, even real world... you should never join a live online match in a team-based game mode if it's your first time playing it, especially on a busy server. Why wouldn't you play offline at least a few times to get the basics down? That's like jumping into a game at the local public park basketball court having never touched a basketball. Do you think the experienced b-ball players that are actively in a game are going to even let you on the court, much less treat you with kid gloves so you can learn to dribble the ball? Good luck with that, and I hope you have good medical insurance if they do let you play.

Don't take that as we don't welcome noobs, we do, but learn the basics of the game before getting online. At least learn how to switch weapons, understand the concept of nodes and linking them, how to get into a vehicle, and most importantly understand this is a TEAM game. That's called "doing the minimum." If you don't do the minimum, you risk getting berated by experienced players or kicked by an admin.

If you are a noob and you've done the minimum of learning basic game operations, by all means join a live game. Then, please let the players and especially admins know that you're a noob so we don't assume you're just screwing around. If you don't know HOW to communicate via either text or chat, or just refuse to do so, then you still haven't met the minimum prerequisites for joining a team game. Don't come into a live game and start asking which buttons do what either.

In other words, learn to dribble before you get on the court.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Enyo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm
Terminator wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm Someone new may join and be wrongfully kicked because they don't exactly know what to do may never show up again because they feel they weren't given an opportunity to learn and play... That may have been their very first time playing. Even if its during high traffic time, we have to give people a chance and let them learn.
Sorry, but I disagree here. And this applies to any TEAM based game, UT or otherwise, even real world... you should never join a live online match in a team-based game mode if it's your first time playing it, especially on a busy server. Why wouldn't you play offline at least a few times to get the basics down? That's like jumping into a game at the local public park basketball court having never touched a basketball. Do you think the experienced b-ball players that are actively in a game are going to even let you on the court, much less treat you with kid gloves so you can learn to dribble the ball? Good luck with that, and I hope you have good medical insurance if they do let you play.

Don't take that as we don't welcome noobs, we do, but learn the basics of the game before getting online. At least learn how to switch weapons, understand the concept of nodes and linking them, how to get into a vehicle, and most importantly understand this is a TEAM game. That's called "doing the minimum." If you don't do the minimum, you risk getting berated by experienced players or kicked by an admin.

If you are a noob and you've done the minimum of learning basic game operations, by all means join a live game. Then, please let the players and especially admins know that you're a noob so we don't assume you're just screwing around. If you don't know HOW to communicate via either text or chat, or just refuse to do so, then you still haven't met the minimum prerequisites for joining a team game. Don't come into a live game and start asking which buttons do what either.

In other words, learn to dribble before you get on the court.
Actually, from what you said, you agree with me. I never once said in my previous post that a brand new player should automatically join the server without playing instant action and learning the basics of linking nodes and coordinating as team. Should they play instant action and learn & figure things out, yes they should. However the only way to figure out that this is a team game is to play online and actually communicate with others. Every player feels like they are contributing to the team whether they actually are or not, its really easy to tell when they aren't. Where I was coming from was more so learning the maps, where the nodes are, how to get there, what vehicles spawn there, where the super weapons are. Learning the map / vehicles is something that can really only be done online.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Well, then we agree Termi! I just wanted to make the distinction between someone who's just started playing the game and doesn't yet have a grasp on basics vs. a noob that at least understands the basics of the game. I've personally heard at least 2 new players join our server recently that immediately start asking things like "how do I switch weapons" or "how do I get in a vehicle."

You're right, to learn the aspects of teamwork here, you just have to get online and play, but like I said before, learn to dribble the ball first.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Terminator wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 pm Every player feels like they are contributing to the team whether they actually are or not, its really easy to tell when they aren't. Where I was coming from was more so learning the maps, where the nodes are, how to get there, what vehicles spawn there, where the super weapons are. Learning the map / vehicles is something that can really only be done online.
They can always play online during off hours. And 100% its pretty easy to see if they are contributing. Are they getting in vehicles going to nodes? Trying to link nodes/teammates? I can't remember which noob I was specing last night, but they had 0 pts, but they were trying, they got to a open node 3 times only to get picked off ;( before they could do anything, but they were going to the right place.
What gets you a timeout is wandering aimlessly, getting in/out of vehicles pointlessly, shooting at nothing, idling at the core. We don't care how bad you are, except that you try to do the right thing. To take the Basketball analogy, we are easier then the local court, we don't care if you can dribble well, as long as you try to dribble, pass the ball, and are headed the right way on the court. Most also try to help noobs with advice during play.
Personally I am more patient when the server isn't quite as full vs. when its 10v10 or more which is more intense. But bottom line, its easy for the admins to tell if you're trying...no matter how bad you are.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Enyo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:59 am Well, then we agree Termi! I just wanted to make the distinction between someone who's just started playing the game and doesn't yet have a grasp on basics vs. a noob that at least understands the basics of the game. I've personally heard at least 2 new players join our server recently that immediately start asking things like "how do I switch weapons" or "how do I get in a vehicle."

You're right, to learn the aspects of teamwork here, you just have to get online and play, but like I said before, learn to dribble the ball first.
Honestly Enyo, I think when players do that, they are trying to be funny and all innocent like. Then they start terrorizing the team by not slacking off.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

pooty wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:35 am
Terminator wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 pm Every player feels like they are contributing to the team whether they actually are or not, its really easy to tell when they aren't. Where I was coming from was more so learning the maps, where the nodes are, how to get there, what vehicles spawn there, where the super weapons are. Learning the map / vehicles is something that can really only be done online.
They can always play online during off hours. And 100% its pretty easy to see if they are contributing. Are they getting in vehicles going to nodes? Trying to link nodes/teammates? I can't remember which noob I was specing last night, but they had 0 pts, but they were trying, they got to a open node 3 times only to get picked off ;( before they could do anything, but they were going to the right place.
What gets you a timeout is wandering aimlessly, getting in/out of vehicles pointlessly, shooting at nothing, idling at the core. We don't care how bad you are, except that you try to do the right thing. To take the Basketball analogy, we are easier then the local court, we don't care if you can dribble well, as long as you try to dribble, pass the ball, and are headed the right way on the court. Most also try to help noobs with advice during play.
Personally I am more patient when the server isn't quite as full vs. when its 10v10 or more which is more intense. But bottom line, its easy for the admins to tell if you're trying...no matter how bad you are.
Yes agree.