Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by captainsnarf »

They should not be disclosed. If players want to tell their secrets they can, but they shouldn't be out'ed by the system.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Seems like everyone's ping was off today. I averaged over 70 ping on MB ..Couldn't hit anything.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Super Sanka wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:56 pm Seems like everyone's ping was off today. I averaged over 70 ping on MB ..Couldn't hit anything.
Your average ping yesterday was 59, with a high of 72 and low of 53.
Your average ping over the last week, counting the games with largest number of players, is 61. If I count more games not just games with max players, you have 64.7. My average is 65 in comparison.

If I run a ping command to the server during off hours, I get 46ms and is very consistent and has not changed over months.

The server tick rate is 28 which is 35.7ms per tick, which I believe puts the floor on lowest in-game ping round 36ms. Pooty and Enyo both pull off pings like that (jelly! :lol: )

When I play on the freon servers my ping is about 30ms. I believe they are geographically closer to me though and they run at a higher tick rate. HoC's tick rate is 100.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Valarna with 30 players last night

60% spike
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah not sure if that was Valarna, I think it was MassD. Both of which are really hard on the CPU.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Matches last night were pretty hard on the CPU spiking at one point to 70%, we were at 30+ players on MassD. It was laggy but IMO playable except for maybe our super snipers --- but they did well enough picking off flyers (or at least me).

Still something I think in the Enhanced Net Code that slows it down since we didn't see that without it on (even for a few). I'll probably take a look and see if there's any code optimization to do, although pretty sure Snarf has given it a good review already.

Snarf, any possibility that ENC and crappy vehicle coding could have some CPU spiking interaction?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I think the main culprit is the extra 'collisioncopy' pawns that get spawned. Those are used to 'time travel' where you were aiming so it can do ping compensation and trace collisions with the copies.

The main change I made in 1.29 version that made it mostly playable was to use simple cylinder collision instead of mesh collision on the collisoncopy used by vehicles, and to reuse the collisioncopy actor from the player for the vehicle they were driving.

When I ran it through the profiler it was using max 1ms more cpu time. When a tick at 28 tick rate = 35.7ms, 1ms extra seemed doable. Also wonder if the 1ms is getting multiplied by # of players. 30 players x 1ms = 30ms which would kill the server.

I ran a net monitor during the ceonss test, but I think we only had ~14 max players. Max net usage was about 1Mbs. Last night, early in the night my ping was 20. Towards the end of night my ping was 70.

We can try going back to lower net update frequencies for the timers and stuff. There is another variable 'ping_tween_time' we can try playing with also. It's currently a const value but I can expose it as a config value.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok, I updated UTCompOmni with new config value 'PingTweenTime'. This goes along with 'NewNetUpdateFrequency'.

Default for NewNetUpdateFrequency is 200. Omni server is currently set to 90.
Default for PingTweenTime is 3.0.

I suggest we change NewNetUpdateFrequency to 60, and PingTweenTime to 5.0 and see how that goes. It should be less demanding on the server CPU with those values. It might break ENC (unreg hits) but will have to play it and see.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Updated 1.33 on Server with those values.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I played vs bots for a bit. ENC seems to be working fine. Hopefully there is less load on the server now.