Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by pooty »

So, ENC off, Xmas stuff on, Dria with 30 players... how did it do?
Other than core hits, the consensus was the lag was much lower, even non-existent during Dria.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am
So, ENC off, Xmas stuff on, Dria with 30 players... how did it do?
Other than core hits, the consensus was the lag was much lower, even non-existent during Dria.
I did not notice any lag with ENC off on Dria.

I do still get significant lag on Nevermore in the Draco… sat above an Ion Tank for a good 3-4 seconds spraying it with the primary flame before any hit sounds registered. FYI, he had no idea I was there and I wasn’t even moving, just floating stationary right above him. And again the same thing hitting nodes with it.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Because the Draco does no damage after you alt fire.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Anonymous. wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:30 pm Because the Draco does no damage after you alt fire.
Never alt fired. Why would I alt fire at a node or a tank I snuck up on? That's not the reason, the draco flame is either broken or it was lag.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

pooty wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:28 pm
What's a cool-kid way of monitoring memory usage during runtime on Windose machines?
Memory isn't an issue... we have plenty. NFO provides ganglia charts (http://ganglia.info/ )

CPU is the factor. UT is only single threaded... so single core performance matters only.. doesn't matter if its 10 core machine.

Our issue is cpu spikes... the reporting we get from NFO is on five minute averages (per their support). So it could be 20%,20%,100%, 20%, 20% would show up as 36% which wouldn't raise any concerns.

If we had direct windows access we could just watch taskmgr, or if it was linux there's much better tools like top that would tell us.

The other side is its just an engine/code limitation. Player count is hard coded capped at 32 and there's certainly a reason for it, add in lots of vehicles/projectiles/etc the engine has to work pretty hard. Sometimes a faster CPU can only compensate so much.

And our server (windows) is freshly rebooted every morning.

I think it might be worth $40-50 to spin up a dedicated VM (via NFO ) so we can better monitor and debug for a couple of months? Maybe over the holidays when our overworked staff might have some extra time?
Can you speak with your host if maybe some cpu throttling or energy saving options are still turned on? We used to have this problem. Everything seemed fine on lower player numbers, but got super laggy with 20+ players back then. In our case it happened after an OS update, because the newer OS version had those settings enabled by default.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I do still get significant lag on Nevermore in the Draco… sat above an Ion Tank for a good 3-4 seconds spraying it with the primary flame before any hit sounds registered
A couple things. The flames in the draco are projectiles, they aren't hit scan. And don't base the no damage on either flames or hitsounds both are "effects" vs. actual hit tracing, and might be delayed by lag/server. I'll review the code and see if there's anything slowing it, but I've tested it and does damage almost immediately when you're up close -- it does more damage up close, less as you're farther away.
Can you speak with your host if maybe some cpu throttling or energy saving options are still turned on?
From what they told me no and we have "priority" on the machine. That being said they might have something that prevents US from being the noisy neighbor (ie. CPU throttling). Ema have you gotten 30+ players on your new server?

And sorry I didn't get a chance to turn off the Christmas stuff, my power was out.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:08 am
I do still get significant lag on Nevermore in the Draco… sat above an Ion Tank for a good 3-4 seconds spraying it with the primary flame before any hit sounds registered
A couple things. The flames in the draco are projectiles, they aren't hit scan. And don't base the no damage on either flames or hitsounds both are "effects" vs. actual hit tracing, and might be delayed by lag/server. I'll review the code and see if there's anything slowing it, but I've tested it and does damage almost immediately when you're up close -- it does more damage up close, less as you're farther away.
Can you speak with your host if maybe some cpu throttling or energy saving options are still turned on?
From what they told me no and we have "priority" on the machine. That being said they might have something that prevents US from being the noisy neighbor (ie. CPU throttling). Ema have you gotten 30+ players on your new server?

And sorry I didn't get a chance to turn off the Christmas stuff, my power was out.
So what's the most effective way to take out a node? I've been hovering just at the top of the node so the whole thing is in a flame vs. going down to the ground. Does it make any difference? If not, I guess then it'd be best to get down to the ground for more cover.
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

pooty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:08 am

We briefly hit 30 last weekend for one match. I saw (or rather, did not see) one missing ion tank turrent that match. Apart from that, no problems at my end and no mentions of lag in chat. CPU load was between 30-40%, occasionally falling below 30%, if I recall it right.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks Ema. That does make me suspect its a compute limitation. What's the model of CPU on your server?
So what's the most effective way to take out a node? I've been hovering just at the top of the node so the whole thing is in a flame vs. going down to the ground. Does it make any difference? If not, I guess then it'd be best to get down to the ground for more cover.
Not 100% but yes I think as you describe makes a difference as I think it damages both the sphere at the top of the node and base itself, Going from the top is a bit faster ~5.5 seconds sphere down vs ~7s ground level in my informal testing. I think its because it hits both sphere and base at the same time.
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

pooty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:39 am Thanks Ema. That does make me suspect its a compute limitation. What's the model of CPU on your server?
Intel i7 6700k

Edit: Forgot to mention we raised the tickrate back to 30 on Nov 20th and also set the minimum netspeed to 10001. So the 30 player match was after that.