Attention Mappers: RGB8 vs DXT3

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
Anonymous.

Attention Mappers: RGB8 vs DXT3

Post by Anonymous. »

When you build a map, the editor defaults to DXT3 lightmap compression. This results in larger file size and much lower quality.

You can change this here:

A little over 10MB in file size savings while having better quality.
Last edited by Anonymous. on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Attention Mappers: RGB8 vs DXT3

Post by captainsnarf »

Well, that sucks. I have probably 100MB worth of .dds files used by my vehicle mods.

Everyone of them is a DXT3 file. Besides making the mods smaller, I wonder if they would look better as RGB8. I'm guessing RGB8 doesn't support alpha channel? That might be why I used DXT3.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Ah good to know. If I build it once with RGB8 will it always rebuild during a build all as RGB8, or do I need to check it every time?
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:06 am Well, that sucks. I have probably 100MB worth of .dds files used by my vehicle mods.

Everyone of them is a DXT3 file. Besides making the mods smaller, I wonder if they would look better as RGB8. I'm guessing RGB8 doesn't support alpha channel? That might be why I used DXT3.
It's different with textures, DXT1 is fine for opaque textures. DXT3/5 for alpha. I believe the editor imports them as DXT3 by default.
pooty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:45 am Ah good to know. If I build it once with RGB8 will it always rebuild during a build all as RGB8, or do I need to check it every time?
The setting stays until you close the browser.

Very good resource:
https://www.techarthub.com/your-guide-t ... al-engine/