server tick rate

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: server tick rate

Post by pooty »

If it was just a question of the cpu, its a no-brainer but we are hosted so up to the hosting company (same one that hosts DW and HoC). I don't think we've lost any players because of poor server performance, its usually pretty decent (aside from a few DDOS network attacks that impacted the game last year). If we've lost players its because of other reasons.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

I have noticed an improvement in server performance. Less warping and delay on shots
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Is the tick rate the same on the UTANS server?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Yes, it is now.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

pooty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:32 pm If it was just a question of the cpu, its a no-brainer but we are hosted so up to the hosting company (same one that hosts DW and HoC). I don't think we've lost any players because of poor server performance, its usually pretty decent (aside from a few DDOS network attacks that impacted the game last year). If we've lost players its because of other reasons.
I understand, but the question arose of why the tick rate can't be raised reliably. Recently people have been complaining about disappearing/warping players, which is basically just server lag. Personally I get frustrated once the player count rises and the server starts to choke. I have stated before I am willing to donate spare DDR4 RAM I have, and some money towards the rest of the parts.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I have free Azure credits ($150/mo). I was looking at prices for physical servers. omg they are prohibitively expensive, like $5/hr, and those servers are always-on. That would blow through my credits pretty quickly.

If we want to use our own hardware we would need to drop it into a co-location somewhere. I've used S3 before. The problem with co-locations is it's pretty much up to you to do everything. The co-locations themselves are usually nondescript buildings in the middle of nowhere. You get rack space under lock and key that has power and 10gb ethernet jacks. Up to you to put your rack mount hardware in there. You will need plane tickets and car rentals just to get there.

Assuming we did have a physical server hosted at e.g. S3, you still have to do the crumby stuff like keep your OS up to date and patched. Our server is windows but it's maintained by the providers so not too much work for the admins to deal with, vs a co-location which would be a lot of work.

If I can find a way to make an omni 3.0 server that performs better than our current one I will. Hard part is motivation, heh. I'm pretty happy with the current change to tick rate and don't have a lot of free time after gaming and modding. It would be nice if our current provider has more options and we could just throw money at them. I have quite a bit of it lately after quitting the weed, which I wouldn't mind spending on a server instead. It looks like we could get a bare metal server for about $150 to $450 per month depending on hardware. That's just hardware though and not network egress.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 am If I can find a way to make an omni 3.0 server that performs better than our current one I will. Hard part is motivation, heh. I'm pretty happy with the current change to tick rate and don't have a lot of free time after gaming and modding. It would be nice if our current provider has more options and we could just throw money at them. I have quite a bit of it lately after quitting the weed, which I wouldn't mind spending on a server instead. It looks like we could get a bare metal server for about $150 to $450 per month depending on hardware. That's just hardware though and not network egress.
It's a UT2004 server - you don't really need to do much except have it run a few programs on startup. Everything not critical to the game/web server should be disabled, especially M$ updates. Below is an example parts list of all you need, perhaps an extra $30 can be thrown in for a better cooler. $388 for everything minus taxes. It's bottom of the barrel dogshit, but it should be able to run 24/7 for years to come.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j9jWfv

I personally have more than enough free time to assemble it and optimize the UEFI/Windows install for maximum performance. The only concern is colocation.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So today, its $436 a year for the game, forum,statsdb and redirect. 37 a month, hard to beat that...and doens't require much admin time on the server (they do it), take daily backups etc. Looking at hosting it ourselves like 10x that...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There was a weird server crash last night on Masterbath. After the match on Hollon2 we played masterbath for about 15 minutes, then crash. No crash map and the game didn't record in stats. Players rejoined and it was on DryIce. I forced Dreamus as players were asking for a smaller map.

Not sure if it's related to the updated tick rate but thought I'd mention it. It wasn't a lot of players (10-12) so it's doubtful.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Any spikes in the CPU usage last night? I'm guessing it is one of the vehicles on the randomizers, not tick rate.

My aim/lag problem was fine on Captaingordons and Masterbath, but the randomizers I had problems.